Thoughts on OCI for 2017 Ford Escape 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 2017 Ford Escape with the 2.0L EcoBoost. He bought it used with low miles. I changed the oil when he bought it, since I didn't know what was in it. I then changed it after 7592 miles and again after 5909 miles. The OLM didn't come on either time. I reset it both times. At 7500 miles I figured that was probably long enough and got impatient. I changed it at 5900 miles because it was a convenient time (ie. he was at home). He's a college student and now lives about 2 hours away, but I help him out by changing his oil. I use a MotorCraft filter and full synthetic 5W30 like the manual calls for. Essentially, I'm trying to decide if I should wait until the OLM tells us to change it (I don't want to throw money away), or if I should continue doing it early. Thoughts? Does anyone else out there have this same engine? What are you in the habit of doing? I've never owned a turbocharged engine, which is what makes me a little nervous. I've been doing 7500 mile OCIs on my Tacoma since 2002 with no concerns.

Thanks!

The oil life monitor will run you out to around 10,000 miles. I change mine every 5,000 miles but, that's just what I prefer.
Change the oil when you think it serves you best. I don't think that 7,500 miles is unreasonable. You can use the Motorcraft FL-910s if you like. Personally, I prefer the NAPA Gold 1348. I will be buying the Chevron Havoline Pro DS From now on. You can get it in 6qt. boxes at Walmart.

Last edited:
Is the vehicle short tripped or driven mostly highway? I tend to go 5000 on short tripped vehicles and 7500 for mainly highway miles.

My mom has a Fusion with the 2.0EB. I change the oil every 5k which for her ends up being 10 months or so. Its easier for me to remember at that time and an engine with turbo costs a lot more than 6 quarts of M1 0W40 and a FL-910S a bit more often.

Solid advice from everyone. He does a mixture of highway/city. I'm thinking a good rule of thumb for us is that if he is home and has over 5000 miles on the current oil, I'll just change it. But I won't sweat it too hard until it gets over 7500 miles. Either of those distances should be well within the tolerances of the OLM, so if it at some point got run out far enough for the OLM to kick on, it would still probably be OK if not ideal. I'm sure there are lots of people who only go by the OLM and have their Ecoboost engines last a long time.

And I'm not married to the Motorcraft FL-910S, but they are cheap so I bought several. It turns out that it actually takes the same filters as my Tacoma, so I may just use the Toyota filters on both when I run out of Motorcraft. They've kept my Toyota in good shape for 17 years/230K miles. :)

I have a 17 Fusion with the 2.0 turbo. After doing two UOA's, I'm set on 7k OCI's with FRAM Ultra and Castrol Magnatec or Edge 5w-30. I would recommend using a Dexos Gen 2 oil, use premium gas (if he can afford it), and do a drain and fill every 30k on the transmission. Just a recommendation from a guy with 40k on his Fusion.

I've had 2 of these as well (Fusion & MKC). I'd do what others recommended: change around 5000 mi -- with 7500 being the top end. Based on what I've seen around here, I'd pick a better filter than the MC 910. I always used Napa Gold or Platinum. Fram Ultra would be another excellent choice.

I have a 2017 Escape with the 2.0 turbo. Just checked the oil with 3300 miles on it, its full and only slightly darker than when new, looks great. It has Supertech synthetic 5w-30 and a Fram XG3614 filter. Been changing between 7,000 and 9,000 miles when convenient, oil change light has never come on. Wife drives it, and she has a lead foot.

My son was home this weekend so I ended up changing it at around 5100 miles. Shorter OCI that I like (it feels wasteful) but with school starting in a few weeks I didn't know when he'd be back down. Better safe than sorry, but it sounds like I should be able to push it to 7500 easy without worrying about it. Thanks for everyone's input!

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
Solid advice from everyone. He does a mixture of highway/city. I'm thinking a good rule of thumb for us is that if he is home and has over 5000 miles on the current oil, I'll just change it. But I won't sweat it too hard until it gets over 7500 miles. ...

That was going to be my recommendation.
Since it is not close all the time, anytime he is home and there is between 5000 and 7500 miles, just change it.

Also, I have heard many seem to like Castrol Magnatec in these Eco-boost motors, they have had good UOA as well as it seeming to make the engines a little quieter.
While I am not a fan of Motorcraft filters, the 910S has not had tearing issues like some of the other models.
I would also have no qualms using a Toyota filter on it.

That is the same engine as used in my Focus ST. I use the FL-400S Motorcraft filter because it is larger, cheap, etc..etc.... I bought one for $4 at Walmart yesterday.

Oil change intervals are a topic of much debate here and I tend to be conservative and go by the manual but these Ecoboost motors spook me. I change mine around 5000 miles with Mobil/Pennzoil/QS/Castrol 5W-30 with Dexos 1 Gen2 & the Ford WSS-M2C946-A / -B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back