Thoughts on Mopar Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with how the Mopar filters performance are? Would mopar filters be able to do 8-10k km oil change intervals?

Yes, more than likely, it all depends on the application's needs.
wink.gif
You could always cut one open, the one specified for your vehicle, there may even be a thread from a long time ago showing one cut open, but I don't know who makes them today. It's either champ labs, wix, or purolator, more than likely.

Originally Posted By: mauric3
I guess most there exits oil filter these days are able to handle 8-10k km oil change intervals e?

Fixed.
laugh.gif

The best/better filters in the right application/engine, service.
smile.gif

Mopar is an average mid-tier filter, IIRC, but nothing more, IMO. Most responsible posters will ask you for which application? It's only a tool; a filter or oil selection, and it's only relative to how you use that tool FOR an application. Some tools don't make sense to be used in a certain way may not hurt, but pushing an OCI on any oil filter would be bad use of potentially incapable filters for extended service. In order to keep things relative, you'd have to define what extended service is, thus full circle to needing information about your application/conditions, etc.

Mopar in Canada is white and made by WIX.I have found (USA) Mopar filters decent.They are pretty rugged and I havent any problems taking them off...seems some brands for some reason are a devil to remove (twist).I have had nothing but hard times with AC and some store brands in the past.

I've used them without any complaints.

From what I can tell they are a Purolator Classic with a thread end bypass.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I guess most there exits oil filter these days are able to handle 8-10k km oil change intervals e?

Fixed.
laugh.gif

10k km is only 6200 miles. With a relatively clean engine, probably any filter could do that distance.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I've used them without any complaints.

From what I can tell they are a Purolator Classic with a thread end bypass.

x2

A Motorcraft with Mopar on it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Fixed.
laugh.gif

10k km is only 6200 miles. With a relatively clean engine, probably any filter could do that distance.

Which is why I stated irrelevance of this without application in question that this tool will be used on. Got a sludge monster you are cleaning up? Some encourage changing the filter out every 1,000 for peace of mind during cleanup efforts.

Is it capable of that 'moderate' interval by today's standards? Yes. End of context.

Now, how can the OP use this information? We need to know more about his app. Clean engine? Fine. What is the FSM's information regarding the OE filter? Mopar is usually on par, no pun intended, as it is either OE or close for most domestics, etc.

Heavily sludged up engines are not the "norm" ... and obviously no filter will last very long on a badly sludged engine, or one that's being cleaned up. When someone asks how long a filter can go without any specific stipulations, then one would most likely think the engine is in relatively good and clean condition. If not, then more info needs to be known as you say to find out any circumstances that might not be "normal".

On any normal engine that's well taken care of, any filter will go 5~6K miles. If the OP has a well maintained engine, then he has nothing to worry about.

^This is true. I'm using this is as an exercise for the OP as he has asked me a lot in PMs about what he should do with an old van and now a new one.
grin2.gif

...and it's helpful for those that don't know one thing about filters aside from spinning one on or what their jiffy lube place does for them, etc.

I still get 'oilmares' from seeing Trav's thread regarding the '5,000 mile synthetic OCIs' Honda V6...lol

I still get 'oilmares' from seeing Trav's thread regarding the '5,000 mile synthetic OCIs' Honda V6...lol

I missed that one ... got a link, or what forum is it in? If a car sludges up with 5K OCIs using synthetic (or even a conventional oil), something is wrong with the engine design.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I missed that one ... got a link, or what forum is it in? If a car sludges up with 5K OCIs using synthetic (or even a conventional oil), something is wrong with the engine design.

I believe his thoughts are the PCV valve design was a leading culprit, don't know if it was his car(I vaguely remember it being a car he serviced for someone else, but IDK).

4 threads as follows:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...501#Post2160501

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...573#Post2162573

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...571#Post2166571

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthre...735#Post2170735

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2323868

...and the kreen talk ensued.

ltslimjim - thanks for all the links. Wow, something is really wrong if varnish and sludge builds up like that in an engine when using full synthetic oil and decent regular OCIs. I didn't have time to read all the threads, so did it boil down to a bad PCV design, or some other factor(s)? Did the oil brand he used have a factor in this problem?

I use Mobil 1 oil in all my vehicles, and when looking inside the oil filler the top end looks brand new. Even using just conventional Mobil 5000 keeps my Altima V6 like new clean.

Trav wouldn't disclose the brand name of the oil because he didn't believe it was the oils problem, IIRC, and didn't want to start a argument about the oil. He stated at the time he thought it was a PCV issue in his opinion. Especially so in regards to the tiny valve itself.

Trav wouldn't disclose the brand name of the oil because he didn't believe it was the oils problem, IIRC, and didn't want to start a argument about the oil. He stated at the time he thought it was a PCV issue in his opinion. Especially so in regards to the tiny valve itself.

It's pretty surprising that Honda would make a design flaw like that, being they are well known for their excellent engineering skills. Maybe a noob out of school engineer was made chief designer for that engine.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back