Thoughts on Milwaukee M12 Right Angle Impact Wrench

I like the idea of this, seems to have alot if grunt, but I would like it to remove brake caliper bracket bolts, which would likely be the most I would need it for. Most bolts that I see are near or less than 150 lb/ft, and that may be too much for this, many 1500 series GM's are around 140 lb/ft.

I have a few M12 tools, but mainly 20V DeWalt and they don't have one of these yet. The Kobalt has alot more power but I'm not trying to extend to a 3rd platform, especially for one tool.

My compact 3/8" impact generally does the trick, but a "ratchet style" would be nice.

weaksauce but still better than an electric ratchet for anything medium torque. caliper bolts are a tough order for the stubby let alone this thing

if your goal is to reduce hand tool usage as much as possible and don’t have shop air it’s a must have

weaksauce but still better than an electric ratchet for anything medium torque. caliper bolts are a tough order for the stubby let alone this thing

if your goal is to reduce hand tool usage as much as possible and don’t have shop air it’s a must have
IMO, the torque on an electric ratchet is secondary to its size and speed.
you can break free with your arm and snug with it too.. you only need the electric part to zip it in and out.

For an impact the power is important as you want it to break the bolt free for you.

There is currently no electric right angle impact that comes close to air power right angle impact
220ft-lb is decent some air is over 400.

IMO, the torque on an electric ratchet is secondary to its size and speed.
you can break free with your arm and snug with it too.. you only need the electric part to zip it in and out.

For an impact the power is important as you want it to break the bolt free for you.
Not trying to assume we have messages crossed, but for sake of discussion for others, the M12 tool I'm referring to is not a ratchet, it's an impact....it just has the form factor of a ratchet with it's right angle design.

M12 ratchet

Screenshot_20230221-102618_Google.jpg

M12 Impact

Screenshot_20230221-102524_Google.jpg

Def not the power of a shop air tool, but those jobs are reserved for my 20V 3/8 and 1/2 impact.

Def not the power of a shop air tool, but those jobs are reserved for my 20V 3/8 and 1/2 impact.
this thing is not a beast for brake jobs just keep that in mind, compact airs are still king. belt drive area is where it excels

Last edited:
this thing is not a beast for brake jobs just keep that in mind, compact airs are still king. belt drive area is where it excels
Agreed. Those GM/Ford/FCA caliper bolts have threadlocker and tend to require an absurd amount of force to break loose. Astro 1828v2 combined with their pinless swivel sockets are probably your best option.

The Milwaukee right-angle impact is great for alternators, brackets, etc. Not caliper bolts.

I have the Right Angle m12 impact. It is a bit of a letdown honestly. Brake jobs seem like the ideal use for it but it usually won't break loose caliper bracket bolts or hub bearing bolts. It is the perfect power for front end work like tie rods, ball joints, etc. If I knew it was so weak I wouldn't have spent the $$. I find myself trying to use it because I have it.

I've got the long neck RATCHET . it's ideal for me because the head is half as wide as the impact model. Also due to the length of the tool it's great leverage to break loose fasteners and then loosening . My two cents and also I got some 6 amp batteries and now I don't have to recharge it all day even if doing a motor overhaul!

I've got the long neck RATCHET . it's ideal for me because the head is half as wide as the impact model. Also due to the length of the tool it's great leverage to break loose fasteners and then loosening . My two cents and also I got some 6 amp batteries and now I don't have to recharge it all day even if doing a motor overhaul!
Like this?
FE2F4366-0C16-404B-A0F1-BFB7FFDC866D.jpeg

My coworker bought one of these. He passed it around the shop for us to try out and then returned it because he felt it was underpowered. I personally liked it. It zipped brake caliper bolts right out. I didn’t try it on anything else so my experience is limited but overall I liked it. Seems like the perfect size to fit in wheel wells as well to get behind the brake calipers easy.

I agree with AM. I find mine useful. Brake caliper bolts, I dunno....but overall it's a tool I'm glad to have.

It's taken a beating in some online shoot-outs because there are more powerful options (if you're not tied to the Milwaukee platform) but sometimes-- and especially in today's world -- the comparison game is just dumb.

Just because something isn't THE BEST doesn't mean it's not useful

That said, if you buy it Milwaukee will come out with a new, more powerful model in a couple months. Partially joking but they are pretty dang good at keeping their ear to the ground and revising products to stay competitive.

Absolutely.

Most of these tools are within a close reach of each other, it's just there's not much competition with the right angle impacts.

I have the 1/4" M12 ratchet and it's def a keeper, just looking for a 3/8" now.

I would rather have a 50 lb/ft Milwaukee ratchet than a 70 lb/ft knockoff.

I agree with AM. I find mine useful. Brake caliper bolts, I dunno....but overall it's a tool I'm glad to have.

It's taken a beating in some online shoot-outs because there are more powerful options (if you're not tied to the Milwaukee platform) but sometimes-- and especially in today's world -- the comparison game is just dumb.

That said, if you buy it Milwaukee will come out with a new, more powerful model in a couple months. Partially joking but they are pretty dang good at keeping their ear to the ground and revising products to stay competitive.

I also find it useful, Great for Carrier Bearing hanger nuts.

Back