Thoughts on Lincoln LS V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 Buick Regal 3800 is going to roll over 130k in the next few months. For a 12 year old car, it runs great and looks OK. I'm just starting to get that itch...purely mental. Usually not cheap.

Any thoughts on the 2003 and up Lincoln LS V8s? I like the looks of them and read good things about the chassis and such. I tried to do some research on them, but haven't tried that hard, or been that successful at it.

Where did the 3.9 V8 come from? Ford? Jag? Is this engine easy to work on? Reliable? I usually try to do my own maintenance. Are parts and stuff cheaper than something like an Audi?

It's a good looking car. Better so than the Zephyr IMHO. I can't speak to the mechanicals, but it's a nice choice. That platform is supposed to be very solid. The new 'stangs share it with the LS and the S-type.

The Lincoln LS platform was derived from the Jaguar S type platform.

The Ford (Lincoln) 3.9 V8 is derived from Jaguar's AJ V8 engine, but the Ford variant lacks some of the premium features of the AJ V8, as might be expected given the price difference of the cars. I don't know if the Ford engine is built in Jaguar's engine plant or if it is made here. The Jaguar AJ V8 has been used as the starting point for many, maybe most, of the V8 engines in Ford's premium car brands.

There was a V6 version of the LS, but I don't know much about that engine. The Jaguar AJ V6 is derived from the Ford Duratec, but has different heads and some other premium features. The Jaguar version of that engine is built ( I think) in Ford's Cleveland plant. I don't know where the V6 in the Lincoln fits between the plain Duratec and the Jaguar engine.

I think the engine had variable valve timing added for the 2003 model year. May have been one of the first FLM products to have it.

Also - what about this THX sound system? Any good? I think they put that in the Zephyr too.

I think the V-8 in that model only put out about 250hp, you might be better off getting a Fusion/Zephyr/Milan with the V-6; then you get almost the same hp (221) with a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle that prolly handles better....

According to Edmunds.com the newer models are better than the '03-'04.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/lincoln/ls/100566170/researchlanding.html

Pros Confidence-inspiring steering and handling, standard V8 delivers plenty of smooth and quiet power, comfortable and roomy interior, optional THX-certified sound system.

Cons Lack of a manual transmission keeps it from true sport sedan status, build quality lags behind German and Japanese competitors, not as nimble as other sport sedans in its class.

somewhere, about 2 yrs ago, i read (and saw in TV commercials) that the v-8 LS outperformed BMW 5-series in handling tests...(at that time that ad was often in auto magazines), so it can't handle that bad. (most auto mags are BMW lovers, imo)

The one I test drove was a wicked fuel hog. Acceleration was decent, but the fuel penalty was immense.

The Zephyr is much more economical and burns regular.

Yeah, I would imagine it doesn't get the best fuel mileage. A definite concern of mine. I am looking at offsetting some of that concern by working from home as much as possible. Need to ask the bossman.

Maybe some people will be looking to unload theirs in the coming months with the way gas is going.

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
I think the V-8 in that model only put out about 250hp, you might be better off getting a Fusion/Zephyr/Milan with the V-6; then you get almost the same hp (221) with a newer, more fuel-efficient vehicle that prolly handles better....

I have to disagree with you on the handling aspect. The LS platform is very solid and RWD, compared to the FWD Zephyr. The LS should handle much better than the Zephyr, especially when you really want to get into the throttle. I can't argue with the fuel economy, though.

Batman, let us know if you get one. I think a V-8 Lincoln LS would make a really sweet, spirited car. Of course, I drive a 9-yr old Neon!
grin.gif

I like the look and the interior of the LS.
They lose their value quickly so you should get a nice '04 for chump change.

The Mazda 6 platform is a very capable performer, much more so than any other fwd midsize around.
With that said, the LS is a great car. It was a favorite among auto mags, but never really caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back