Thought it was an oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Rav4 has some oil leaks. My best guess is both front and rear main seals. There is oil residue just below the alternator, another residue on the seeping out of the housing between the engine and tranny, a good coating of oil on the transfer case but no drips. Since switching to HM oil, the engine goes through about 1qt of oil per 5000 mile OCI. Nothing to get me too worried. A few days ago, I saw the first drop on the garage floor. Put a metal pan under the car and compared the leaky oil to oil from the dipstick. The stuff on the floor felt thicker and it's lighter in color than the oil from the dipstick. Must be the transfer case oil. It's never been changed. They sure don't make it easy to change that. Had to disconnect the exhaust to get enough room to put a socket on the fill plug. Man, that oil stinks. I was not expecting that stench. Collected what drained out and collected about 25 ounces. Transfer case holds about 30 ounces so the leak wasn't too bad. Went to 5 auto parts stores today and no one sold the M18 crush washers so I had to reuse them. Seems to be fine.

Come to find out there is a TSB from Toyota for this or something like this. I'm well past the warranty period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back