This "EV Thing" isn't going away.....

In contrast, legacy automakers and non-Tesla startups saw a 71 percent surge in EV registrations through September, with 183,750 registrations among 22 brands.

This Board is called BOBISTHEOILGUY, not Bob Is The Electric Guy, I am not jumping on the EV Bandwagon since this technology on the batteries is in its infancy.

From what I have read, the startups are losing money, which is natural for startups.
The big guys, like Ford, BMW, GM, etc are likely losing money on every sale.

The Tesla Model Y is amazing from a sales standpoint; very expensive yet out sells almost every other vehicle at any price. And may be #1 overall next year or 2024.
It is probably the #1 vehicle in the world by revenue and profit. The Model 3 is not far behind.

If and when someone makes a "Model 2", sales will explode.
But you are 100% correct; EVs are here to stay.

I posted this before but this chart showing the contribution of non-Tesla’s to the count is growing fast.

83D459AB-4CED-479F-A489-34A5C94AAFC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Once they satisfy the desires of all of those who *want* one.... then it will be a true uphill battle.

Jalopnik is far from being a neutral and unbiased source.
For sure, those that tow big and far, aren't going to be going pure electric real soon.
But I think the toyota planetary gear hybrid scales up to big torque and hp, like 40,000lb 500hp field tractor size(they run the hydraulic motors instead of electric to vary the gear ratio).
But like the manual transmission, geared automatics, simple large NA engines, simple capable cars for that matter, the majority of new car buyers don't care about those features, and they won't care about fuel source either unless its a dedicated road tripping vehicle, or used for towing...
I think there will be a place for liquid fuel/electric hybrids for a long time, but for most 2+car families, atleast one could be an electric today without a problem for 99% of the time.
I was just in Vancouver BC a couple weeks ago, and a Model3 was probably the most popular newer vehicle, period...

Last edited:
This Board is called BOBISTHEOILGUY, not Bob Is The Electric Guy, I am not jumping on the EV Bandwagon since this technology on the batteries is in its infancy.
So pre-1895, say, this board would've been called, BOBISTHEFEEDGUY ?
Hmm...If rail transport obviated roads with automobiles, would this board be called BOBISTHECOALGUY ?

It's interesting to ponder some tipping point were a majority of people that want an EV have one. Do sales then slow dramatically? In theory at that point only people replacing a current EV or deciding to make the switch would be buyers.

We can add, “ all those who can afford one and have access to getting a bit enough loan, will get one” Those struggling to make their mortgage payments on new home purchases have lost the wherewithal to buy a Tesla.

The hidden costs to owning an EV will eventually quench the fever to own one. The environment impact to produce them is a negative benefit so buying one to virtual signal is misguided. Today a servicable used car can be had for 3/5k dollars. No EV with a good battery will ever be that cheap. I'm no Luddite but realistically EVs will eventually become a small niche market for the wealthy and techies.

I have zero plans to buy a new car be it electric or fossil fuel powered anytime soon. I simply can't afford one.
Friends often ask me advice on buying a car, although I am not sure why!
One friend had his perfect TSX totaled in a parking lot; we found a clean '14 Corolla S for $10,300. Has 150K, needs servicing and brakes. Clean car. A pretty good price around here right now. But that's a lot of money for an econobox.
Neighbors in Petaluma (our other house) had their late model Ford Escape totaled back east on a summer trip. They are retired, in their mid to late 70's. Finding a vehicle for them has been difficult. They wanna spend lower $20's. Dealerships think their cars are made of gold.

I keep seeing more and more electrics being traded in for gassers. The dealership used lots are full of them. If the Industrial Revolution had been electric instead of fossil, then it’d be totally different. Plain and simple, ev infrastructure just isn’t there.

Studies show about 20% of PEV owners turn in their plug ins for gas and about 18% of pure battery owners do the same.
By far the #1 reason in access to level 2 charging at home. Can't say as I blame them. I wouldn't own an EV if I couldn't charge at home. I'm not even sure why someone in this position would make the decision to buy an EV in the 1st place.

The studies found that people buying Tesla vehicles are the least likely EV owners to go back to gas, while Fiat 500e buyers are much more likely to go back to gas.

@PimTac I would be curious as to why your friend got rid of their Tesla. If possible, perhaps you can shed some additional light on this? Thanks in advance!

Back