Thinking on LQ9 swap Tahoe

I commented on your other thread about the 4.8 swap a few years back. I meant everyone word when I said the Vortec 4.8 is a dog in the Tahoe.

I think the 6.0 is a bit overkill for the Tahoe. The 6.0 is good for towing and the Tahoe just isn’t the best tow rig. The 5.3 is the sweet spot IMO.

AFD42D4A-672A-4457-A413-0762A5C67410.jpg

I commented on your other thread about the 4.8 swap a few years back. I meant everyone word when I said the Vortec 4.8 is a dog in the Tahoe.

I think the 6.0 is a bit overkill for the Tahoe. The 6.0 is good for towing and the Tahoe just isn’t the best tow rig. The 5.3 is the sweet spot IMO.
It was a good motor at the right time. When a feller is broke and a motor is sitting in the garage, it was a no brainer.

The 6.0 is gonna be neat.

Last edited:
Ah you're right about the engine code. But the 5.3 gets at least 1 mpg more and sometimes 2 but i almost never haul anymore and if i do it's for short distances. Mostly highway cruising but I'd prefer to have taller gears with the 6.0 too. 3.73 is a bit high. I'd happily take a lower 2.73 when cruising at 85.

And I've been heavily considering getting my rear diff swapped for a taller one and maybe removing the intermediate shaft, front diff, cv axles, and put 2wd hubs on it. I'm not sure the latter is worth it but what's your opinion.
Sell it then use the money to buy a 2wd version

Back