thinking about a minature schnauzer for daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Promised her if she'd do good in school and start becoming a "big" girl, she's 7 and sometimes still thinks she's only two, we'd get a dog. Well, like gangbusters, she's been really shining through. Doing great in school and I can see that we are finally getting away from the baby years. So, my time is coming on the deal. Some church friends have AKC miniature schnauzers for sale. Daughter has allergies, but not to dogs, we tested for that. I need a pet that doesn't shed and from what I've read, schnauzers fit the bill. Anybody got anything good, bad or indifferent to say about this breed of dog? I had orginally thought cockapoo or even a poodle, but just haven't found any yet for a resonable price and a reputable breeder.

My late parents had this white toy poodle with apricot ears. She lived for 17 years, and was very intelligent, learning words with ease.

If you get a little dog you might have it still once your daughter is out of the house and grown up. It depends on who the dog gets attached to.

I'm hoping it will be her and not Mom. Not having the dog sleeping in the bed, again......

the PT that I work with has three of them and they are endless money pits. I have a Boston Terrier that was $550 bucks to buy, but has NEVER been sick or injured (knock on wood). Plus they just look cooler too
wink.gif

We are with our 2nd Mini Schnauzer. The first lived to 14 years. Our current mini is 3 years old. Great dogs! No shedding. Very loyal. Not much of a barker. No digging in the yard. Smart as smart can be! VERY quick learner. Very friendly and has never snapped at anyone...always in a good mood....always willing to play. I highly recommend this dog.

The quality of the breeder is just as important as the dog itself. Make sure you're breeder is breeding for temperament and quality genetics. Far to many are breeding dogs for the money and not for the love of the dogs or to improve the breed.

When we purchased our current beagles (who are now certified therapy dogs) we scrutinized the breeder very carefully before making our selection.

Once you bring the puppy home enroll in some training classes. 10 weeks old is about the perfect age to begin basic puppy training, and consider going up to at least an intermediate level.

Why all the importance placed on having a pure-breed dog these days?
21.gif
If you *Really* want to do something good for your daughter and a dog, you could rescue a pup from the pound.
49.gif

The love of my life was a poodle-schnauzer mix female. She was a wonderful pet. She lived for 16.5 years until very serious health problems forced me to put her down. Great Dog!

Personally, I'm no longer a proponent of fixed breed dogs.

My first was an Elkhound, when they were being looked after as a breed, with 5 gen bloodlines, and regular Nordic and Canadian Imports...now the breed is stuffed.

When the vet found out that my last dog was a HuskyXSamoyed, he told me that I'd saved myself $5k to $10k in vet bills over the (stuffed) Huskies that we have grown in the puppy factories.

We'll be getting a new dog in the soonish future, and I want it to be a first generation hybrid, for it's own sake, and that of my family.

I can almost guarantee you that kids fascinations and assuming any kind of care for the animal is very, very short lived. I have seen it multiple times in our kids, neighbors kids, grandchildren.
You'll have to learn it the hard way though since you promised. Hopefully you will enjoy and care for the dog..

I used not be a fan of small dogs - thought they were kind of useless.

We now have a 3-year old Lhasa Apso, and I wouldn't trade her for the world - she's the most adorable little thing!

Not the best breed, tho - very yappy, and extemely high-strung. Every little noise is a 'threat' she has to protect us from. Very, very 'clingy' dog as well - just can't handle being away from 'her' people....right next top you, wherever you are.

please consider adopting a mutt. My 6 year old coonhound/lab mix is a terrific dog and a wonderful friend.

I swear she seems grateful.

I've been a "dog" person myself in the past. Had to lay down my best dog ever, a cocker spaniel named Schmoe.....hence my BITOG name, and had another cocker, a male this time, but when my daughter came home from the hospital, he did not like it one bit. Would urinate all over her stuff and then started challenging me. One night, I got in his face and he bit me across the nose, had to go get the skin put back on with, literally, hospital grade crazy glue. Of couse, he had to go then. This was in 2004. Haven't had a dog since and kind of miss them. I tying to find one that I'd enjoy once the "new-ness" wears off on my daughter. But, I don't know, something tells me she'll be a good pet owner. She's an only child so this may keep her undivided attention, divided.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Why all the importance placed on having a pure-breed dog these days?
21.gif
If you *Really* want to do something good for your daughter and a dog, you could rescue a pup from the pound.
49.gif

+1 on that. All the cat I had/have comes either from animal shelters, or for the second one, directly from the street, literally: my brother rescued it, abandoned by its too young mom.

You will make a dog happy (as SteveSRT8 said, it will be grateful for life to you for doing this to it), make the animal shelter happy (they won't have to kill it), and you will not contribute to the exploitation of animals (the breeders).

Why nobody breed humans? Why is this normal to breed animals for our selfish pleasure while plenty others suffer? Do you know how animals have to get killed everyday in shelters because of overpopulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back