Thickest GL4 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Plus the limited slip in the Max Gear doesn`t seem like a good idea in a tranny. I may be dead wrong though.

This would seem to be like using friction modified Dexron/Mercon vs Type F in transmissions calling for ATF.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Thanks, I bet you'll have to warm that 140 up under some hot water before it will go in! I may give the Stalube a try this summer if the Redline does that to me. Let us know how it goes!

Sta Lube GL4 SAE 140 is on order and will be in tomorrow :^) I`ll install in here one day next week (on my next day off). I`ll post results as soon as I take my test drive.

I'll repeat this again:

Quote:
Differential lubes use friction modifiers to reduce mechanical and fluid friction and add some anti-shudder friction modifier for limited slip, both very different chemical compounds.

Manual Transmission fluids use a different friction modifier for synchro engagement, a modifier that does NOT contain the same chemicals as differential lubes.

I do not recommend using ANY differential fluid in light truck and car Manual Transmissions.

Shockproof isn't really 'weight' rated. Is is a weight rated substitute. Someone needs to VOA the battery of Redline's unique fluids.

SAE50 truck tranny oils are in the 90wt and 110wt ranges. You might be able to find some industrial or marine GL4's that are thicker.

South texas? 140wt? Shouldn't be much of a problem most of the year. I would NOT use 140wt in a 90wt requiring manual in Canada. Its definitely worth trying in Texas.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Shockproof isn't really 'weight' rated. Is is a weight rated substitute. Someone needs to VOA the battery of Redline's unique fluids.

SAE50 truck tranny oils are in the 90wt and 110wt ranges. You might be able to find some industrial or marine GL4's that are thicker.

South texas? 140wt? Shouldn't be much of a problem most of the year. I would NOT use 140wt in a 90wt requiring manual in Canada. Its definitely worth trying in Texas.

Yeah,that`s what I`m thinking. It seems the thicker I`ve been going up in the weights of my gear oil selections,the better the tranny works. I`m installing the Sta Lube GL4 SAE 140 tomorrow before I head to work. I figure the weight would be ideal here in south Texas. I`ve been all over the country and south Texas summers are like no where else. Hot is an understatement! The humidity along with the 108F temperatures makes it feel like an oven.

aquariuscsm:

I'm curious what your results were... of the 140w lube in your 5spd Nissan trans.

I see you're using MTG now, so 140w was too thick for you?

I was thinking of using it for a week or two in order to see if this quiets my alleged Input Shaft Bearing noise. Can purchase the GL-4 140w at a local parts store, and the MT90 I ordered won't be here for about a week!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back