Thicker Oil and Variable Valve Timing

After significant experimentation, as I'm sure you recall, I "settled" on M1 AFE 0w-30 in our old 2002 Expedition due to its excellent cold temperature performance (that vehicle saw -30C several times) and zero consumption on 12,000Km OCI's. That was an engine that was originally spec'd for 5w-30 and then back-spec'd to 5w-20 in later years when Ford went 5w-20 almost universally across the board. I have no idea what the current owner is putting in it, but I did tell him what I had been running.

Not only are there a lot of myths concerning VVT, but there are also plenty concerning cylinder deactivation.
I remember your experiment. You're also a respected member residing in a colder climate than most of us here. If a cold climate was going to impact performance in any way, you would have noticed, and alerted us. Good point on cylinder deactivation!

The YF Theta II has an intercooler for the turbo but, no such external cooling for the oil.

Our SXL has an oil cooler.

Again, we've never felt a butt difference between grades in either the Optima or my Ford. I have so much PP 10W30 that I bought on close out that I also used it in my daughter's 2.4L Tigershark in her 200. The Multi-air engines have an oddball valve setup and the change in grade made no difference as well. In fact, she had a bit of consumption (common according to the forums) and it now uses no perceptible oil between change intervals.

The move to 0-40 wasn't nearly as intense as when I ran T6 5-40. It was more than noticeable. Ran as a slug for the first couple of hundred miles. At least if not more than the dif in 87 & 93. It suggests to me that the effect on the function of DOHC intake/exhaust hydraulically actuated CVVT would be more pronounced than mere parasitic drag. It has to be one, the other or a varying combination of the twain.

Personally, I feel the restriction of the CVVT would have the most effect on performance when compared directly & proportionately to parasitic drag.

Now, and for a while, I've blended M1 racing oils with 0-40 using 0-16 to adjust viscosity.

Your results may vary from mine. I've no issue.

Last edited:
Back