They're the same and you're a crook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invite him to your shop and explain everything to him exactly as you explained it here. Have him sit there with his mouth shut and tell him that he can ask questions when you are completely done with your explanation.
If no apology comes out of his mouth, tell him to hit the road and never come back.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

So boy wonder (about 40 years old) calls up 2 different O'Reilly stores and gets the same answer- that they're the same.

crackmeup2.gif

I had to look and see if I was in the humor section.
This only proves again what I've learned, and said before. O'Wrongly's is the worst auto parts store EVER.
I hope it works out well, but I encourage you never to argue with an idiot. They will drag you to their level, and beat you with experience.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
He takes things to you he cant fix, but he asked you to replace an alternator?

I am no mechanic and a sub par parts swapper.. and I replaced an alternator in a cold dark Oreillys parking lot about 70 miles from home. If one has time, proper tools and lighting, it should be an easy job.

I told my roommate that once. "Oh it's an alternator, it's easy to change." That job took several hours of working on his back and involved a hacksaw--Mitsubishi Colt of some sort, alternator was on the backside of the motor and hanging low. After watching that I stopped giving auto advice.

Alternator on the Taurus is a pretty big deal. I believe Vin U is the OHV engine, but on the DOHC engine, the subframe has to be dropped.

You went to his 50th Anniversary so he's getting older now.

General $ concerns + hardening of the arteries (brain oxygen starvation) => that kind of dementia.

It's the old difference between "Where did I leave my keys?" and "You took my keys".

If you have the guy over for a chat, it might be smart to have a "friendly mutual friend" sitting with you in the manner of "oil on the waters".

It's dismaying, saddening and even galling when people "divert" from their otherwise even keels.

EDIT:
OH, I just reread the story..."Boy wonder" was just feeling marginalized by you helping. He wanted to be the authority. Nothing more than "male big-shotting". It was the son not the Dad accusing you, right?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

When you find a good and honest mechanic you like to stay with him as long as he is in business. I trust my mechanic and I never ask for an estimate before the work done, and I always paid what he charged without ever questioning him why the charge was so high.

Exactly. I use one dealer and two indie shops. I know all three do excellent work and won't try to screw me.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It literally took me 30 seconds to go on www.oreillyauto.com and search alternators for a 2001 & 2003 Taurus, they're clearly different part numbers, 3661607 & 392524. Why couldn't he have done that?

Because he called and the people behind the counter think they are experts and aren't even looking up the part.
I called autozone a couple weeks ago to order a FlexFuel sensor for a 1999 Ranger and the idiot behind the counter wouldn't even look in his computer, he was so sure a '99 Ranger had no such part.
Needless to say, they didn't get the business.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Fuel-Sensor...SVQ&vxp=mtr

X2.

Some people think they know a lot more than they do. Even on common, run of the mill, mass produced vehicles there can be all kinds of differences, even within the same year model. Just about the only thing I am comfortable saying "they are all the same" for is Trailblazer shift cables. I likewise had a parts store employee tell me that it was "impossible" for a Ford Ranger to have 4 wheel ABS "unless they are doing something different now." Yeah, okay, how about you just pull these part numbers for me and save your "advice."

On the flip side, this is why (at a dealer parts counter) I ask my customers for a VIN almost every time. Some customers throw a fit when I ask for a VIN, but it DOES matter. I wouldn't ask for it if I didn't need it. I don't care about your VIN number beyond getting the correct part the first time so that it doesn't get returned. People come in and want a part for a "2002 Avalanche, and they are all the same." No, all Avalanches are most definitely not the same, and when I try to look up parts without a VIN, my catalog will show me everything that could have possibly been put into any GMT800 truck.

No good deed goes unpunished. I am seeing this alot in 2016 myself, it is changing my demeanor, for better or worse still to be determined.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
No good deed goes unpunished. I am seeing this alot in 2016 myself, it is changing my demeanor, for better or worse still to be determined.

We don't agree on much but I definitely agree with this....common decency and being honorable, and having integrity is almost looked at as a weakness by many in US society today...More evidence of a crumbling civilization.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
On the flip side, this is why (at a dealer parts counter) I ask my customers for a VIN almost every time. Some customers throw a fit when I ask for a VIN, but it DOES matter. I wouldn't ask for it if I didn't need it. I don't care about your VIN number beyond getting the correct part the first time so that it doesn't get returned. People come in and want a part for a "2002 Avalanche, and they are all the same." No, all Avalanches are most definitely not the same, and when I try to look up parts without a VIN, my catalog will show me everything that could have possibly been put into any GMT800 truck.

I pretty much always get a VIN also. Just eliminates a lot of headaches and me having to ask questions. Plus a fair amount of people do not know what year their car is. I will copy and paste the VIN onto the invoice so if in the future there is an issue with the part, I have that info there.

The tin foil hat crowd are funny. I don't care about anything else except getting you the right part the first time.

The ones that get me are the people that lost their keys. They act like I have offended their mother when I ask for proof they own the vehicle in question. We require either registration or an insurance card with a photo ID that matches that name and the person asking for the code. As of right now I can only get key cut codes for 2007MY and newer vehicles. I really do feel sorry when people are in a bad spot, but yelling at me is not going to help your cause at all. Not my fault you lost the keys, but I will do everything in my ability to get you new ones. Also don't yell at me when I tell you that your laser cut keys have to be ordered from Ford precut and takes 2 days. If you want me to be able to cut them, go up and tell my General Manager to pony up the $11-12K for the laser cutter to have on site.

I agree: He is a pecker-head.

If you've been working on both his old man's & other sons cars for quite awhile, he ought to know about you by now. And further, he should show you some respect & patience, given you attempted to calmly explain the situation to him.

He blew that chance.

PH believing some counter dudes at two O'Rs has his parents' best interests in mind, way above yours?
crackmeup2.gif

Life will be hard on him.....

Facts are indeed inconvenient things: They Are What They Are. Period. Explain to Torchy that facts are what's going to fix the problem.

Leave him to break himself against them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The ones that get me are the people that lost their keys. They act like I have offended their mother when I ask for proof they own the vehicle in question. We require either registration or an insurance card with a photo ID that matches that name and the person asking for the code. As of right now I can only get key cut codes for 2007MY and newer vehicles. I really do feel sorry when people are in a bad spot, but yelling at me is not going to help your cause at all. Not my fault you lost the keys, but I will do everything in my ability to get you new ones. Also don't yell at me when I tell you that your laser cut keys have to be ordered from Ford precut and takes 2 days. If you want me to be able to cut them, go up and tell my General Manager to pony up the $11-12K for the laser cutter to have on site.

Keys are the worst part of a car to sell, period. Totally not worth the hassle.

We sell TONS of keys. A lot of them internal because the sales department frequently loses keys. In fact, that was what led to us finally getting a BD Laser Max machine so we could do the laser cut keys on site. We were having to order a precut key or call in the locksmith the make a duplicate for literally every single car they sold because the sales dept would lose at least one key if not both.

Tell me about it! Working at VW, I had to tell owners of 20 year old cars quite frequently that it would be $198 and two days for a key to arrive and be coded to the car. Yes I know there are cheaper ones on eBay. No I can't sell that to you or order. Yes I can try to code it if you bring it to me, but it may not work.

BMW sucks because their E46 gen keys do not have replaceable batteries and are $186/ea. The good news is that BMW keys are next day air and come coded to the vehicle. The bad news is that each car only has so many keys, and after so many (5? 7? I can't remember) they need a new instrument cluster and new keys. GYSOT!

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Time to talk to him, explain the situation, and then fire him as a customer.

I wouldn't be so quick to fire the actual customer, the father.

I wonder if the Dad knows what the son is doing, and furthermore
why is he involved in the first place?

If I was the OP I'd call the father back and speak with him instead and politely tell him that while his son thinks he is helping, he simply isn't experienced enough to understand all the details..
add that you value their business, but you'd appreciate the son letting Dad handle his own dealings with the shop...I think you will get an agreement and keep a valued customer, but no longer have to deal with the meddlesome and obnoxious son....

Vowel, it's not often I agree with you, but as it turns out I think you were pretty darned close.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
He takes things to you he cant fix, but he asked you to replace an alternator?

I am no mechanic and a sub par parts swapper.. and I replaced an alternator in a cold dark Oreillys parking lot about 70 miles from home. If one has time, proper tools and lighting, it should be an easy job.

Sounds to me he had it planned all along.

He did try at first to swap the alt out- but the charge light still came on- that's why he came over to the shop.

So now the rest of the story:

The son was supposed to meet me at the shop at 8:00 this morning. Well 8:00 rolls around and no son. A few minutes later I get a text message, it reads "Just fix the car for dad. Thanks. Sorry I questioned you." I didn't even bother replying- if he doesn't have the stones to formally apologize either via phone or better yet- in person, then I don't have the time for him. I guess he made it easy- I will just be too busy if he ever needs work done.

Anyway I finish the car real quick and give the 'ole boy a call... Him and his wife show up and we start to chatting- I show him the schematics and explain to him why the alt he swapped in still charged but would light up the indicator. As the conversation went on they mentioned something about their son, so I slipped in a little question- "Was there some confusion last night, or a misunderstanding?" Boy did that light a fire! Turns out he was saying flat out that I was ripping them off and all kinds of other things which upset them- because they know I'm not like that. In a different conversation with just mom, he asked if she was getting senile and if he needed to take over their "business"! I was flabbergasted! At any rate dad had called a different Ford dealer and asked the same question- their answer was the same as mine, that they ARE different. So I think that's why I got the half assed apology.

All I can say is wow!

I forgot to add- they asked me if he had called me, I told that he did and that... he was VERY skeptical of my motives, to which they were not impressed.

It appears that there are probably more serious issues brewing in that family....the son seems like he is not only of questionable character, but might be looking to grab power of attorney in some way....I hope he doesn't get it and the other children are paying attention and decent...Eric you say you have dealt with some of the parents other children, do they appear to be honorable
people?

I would hate to meddle in their family matters but....
wow I would have a very hard time NOT saying something to the other children if they stopped by for work on their vehicles soon....I probably would not, but it would be hard not to mention something to them in a vague way about "that one". LOL

I pretty much always get a VIN also. Just eliminates a lot of headaches and me having to ask questions. Plus a fair amount of people do not know what year their car is. I will copy and paste the VIN onto the invoice so if in the future there is an issue with the part, I have that info there.

The tin foil hat crowd are funny. I don't care about anything else except getting you the right part the first time.

I should show this to oilBabe. When I got the 99 MGM from my grandma, I went to the locksmith to have another key made as I didn't want to be in the no keys at all for the car.

I recall years ago, we bought a used Toyota Sienna minivan. It was a Toyota dealer, so I expected they would know it's a coded key. I specified that we had to have two keys. Went back on a Saturday to get the key and they tried to give me a plain metal key. After I gave my wife the original and showed them the van wouldn't run without a coded key, they finally broke down and had a locksmith cut them the right key and added it to the van.

It's sad when the customer knows more on the topic than the sales or service or whomever tried to pawn off a plain key...

Caveat emptor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back