They just don't make music like they used to semi rant

I’ve actually created a game at our house. If we stumble upon a country station, we have a checklist for certain words.
backroad
dirt road
whisky
beer
truck
small town
blue jeans

its very apparent modern music is written with a formula in mind. I’ll be the first to admit I hate most of it, but would’ve liked it if I was young.

I just heard a Daughtry/Halestorm remake of a Journey song that rocks. I’m more of a Tyler Childers, Mitch King, John Butler music fan. My son listens to stuff like Cannibal Corpse, which he says is like Metallica. I disagree because Metallica is good…..

I counter with a quote (OK, paraphrase), from the great and curmudgeonly Danny Finkleman, who hosted a very enjoyable Oldies show on CBC radio Saturday evenings:

"Folks, there are only eight notes, and there are only so many ways you can arrange them, and by 1974, and some would say earlier, all of the good ones were used up!"

😉
Right on. But I'm an old fart who can neither carry a tune or play an instrument. Listen to what you like.

In my honest opinion, from the middle 1950's to the mid or upper 80's was the best music ever made. Especially in the rock, hard rock, pop, metal, and singer song writer categories.
I listen to "The Bridge", on Sirius XM probably 90% of the time.

Music is an art, and you can express your talent at it in a thousand different ways. Whether it's wind instruments, guitars, or a computer, it still comes out as music. People bag on music they don't like or don't understand. It might not be your thing, but it's still an art form.

Music is an art, and you can express your talent at it in a thousand different ways. Whether it's wind instruments, guitars, or a computer, it still comes out as music. People bag on music they don't like or don't understand. It might not be your thing, but it's still an art form.
Agree.

Listening to say a ‘70s oldies station, they don’t play the stuff that hasn’t endured (e.g. “Disco Tex and the Sex-O- Lets”). You may not remember the bad stuff dumped on the airwaves back when. So listening to modern radio/streaming you’re hearing the good and the bad (what will endure and what won’t). I’ve been listening off and on to 91.1 FM out of Chicago and find some of the music fantastic, especially Sunday evening (and other Sunday evenings WSM out of Nashville- something old, something new....).

I agree, but if you really think about it, the artwork with the most intrinsic details of work that is almost impossible to re-create, meaning, one-of-a-kind pieces, or timeless works of arts and command worldwide recognition and respect.
Much of today’s music is more like artwork you buy in hobby lobby, mass produced images, touched up by hand, and sold as hand enhanced.

Just about every neighborhood in America has people with good voices and can sing out a song by anyone but who can compose works like just one tiny fraction of an example, Stairway to Heaven and most all other compositions from that era, from which would be considered supergroups. Queen, Moody Blues and dozens of others.
Todays hits are mostly all vocals that can be sung by millions of others, just like the art work in Hobby Lobby.
But no one can re-create the compositions by the supergroups.

Born in the 60’s, Child of the 70’s, Teenager in the 80’s, Grew up in the 90’s, Matured in the 2000’s……..I’ve experienced it all and if I could go back in Time, it would be to the 80’s
The Music of the 80’s was so good, I could breathe it……..
Yep....the 80's was awesome music. The whole MTV thing in the early days was fantastic. Music was happier....more varied....and had a creative vibe that is unmatched (my subjective opinion of course).

The internet, catering to the desire for instant gratification for cheap, going all woke, and making music and movies most people don't want has ruined all media. There are some geezer bands left that can afford to go on tour. And probably some Korean hip hop pop bands. In general, who can afford to create, produce, and perform great music anymore? They rarely make a movie I'm interested in anymore. Woke, as seen through the lens-of-our-time drivel mostly produced for the world's largest market that demands something loud and colorful without a story they would have to follow. I forgot about rap - now there's art. Older movies and books, including classics, are now often edited to make them more palatable to the sensitivities of modern viewers and readers. The past must be changed but coming up with new and interesting things has become nearly futile, apparently. HR is going to call - I just know it.

I try to stick with music sung by a legitimately talented vocalist. Seems anyone can have a career in the industry now without a lick of vocal ability. Beyonce is considered to be "queen"? Please. On what merit? Her ability to show skin and shake it on stage? Any studio musician can come in off the street and put an arrangement together, but without a vocalist to make the song great, it's worthless to me. Vocalists like Anne Wilson, Martha Wash, Wynonna Judd and the like are the ones I'll listen to, because their voices make the song great, not the arrangement, guitar solo, etc. I don't listen to a lot of newer music because there's no singing involved.... They're talking.

Autotune and computer generated 'stuff' really do sanitize the music. The imperfections do add character.

Even so, there are plenty of awesome modern bands.
I agree, it’s just that I guess by consumer demand you simply can’t go and choose like you used to, ot the top hits and top music because they’re no longer in the top music charts so you actually have to search around a little bit or I’m just looking in the wrong place🧐
More or less the super groups were “it” back in the 60s 70s and part of the 80s you couldn’t avoid them they were always in the top of the charts.
I know they are out there, some
in this forum have brought up some good groups that I listened to, but I wouldn’t been able to find them if somebody didn’t tell me about them where are used to always be in your face.
I’m not sure if this makes any sense but to me, it seems like it takes effort to seek them out.

I enjoy music all the way back from before even the beetles to modern music. Pop, country, metal that would scare the devil, etc.

If it's in your heart you can appreciate a wide range and age of music.

Back