They just don't make music like they used to semi rant

I hear all sorts of laments that "They just don't make music like they used to"... Well sort of IMO.. It seems that many are living in the past, but if there's anything that's a constant in this world, it's change. If all you want to hear is music like that from SRV, Jimi, Clapton, Coe, Williams, Atkins or.... whoever you really like, then listen to them. Music is an ART. You want artists to copy other artists, to do the same as what's already been done? Good luck. I grew up with everything from Black Sabbath to the Eagles and EVERYTHING in between.. Do I listen to music exactly like what I grew up with now? Yes and No. I've really come to love some more modern groups/artists who have branched out a little and have their own content.. Samantha Fish, Larkin Poe, Joe Bonamassa, Gary Clark Jr and Goose to name a few. Music is an evolution and change is inevitable - if you haven't already, get used to it and accept it. ( I say this as I'm ROCKING Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain.. Gawd I love Leslie West)

Whatever kind of music that you like is still alive and IS out there... It may not be exactly what you grew up with, but it's out there. It's a shame that more of the newer artists don't get the coverage and air time that some of the older, more established ones got.

Last edited:
It's human nature, older generation often thinks the way they did things was better, it's not just about music but many things.
Here's a Socrates quote that is well over 2 thousand years old.

"Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”

It's human nature, older generation often thinks the way they did things was better, it's not just about music but many things.
Here's a Socrates quote that is well over 2 thousand years old.

"Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.”
That's a fascinating quote..

Many people stop discovering new music when they hit a certain age and there is plenty of proof on this website.
I like listening to current music

HOWEVER, if you know anything about playing a guitar, which I do but am a D at it, few songs have the complex cord changes this old one has.

Many people stop discovering new music when they hit a certain age and there is plenty of proof on this website.

HOWEVER, if you know anything about playing a guitar, which I do but am a D at it, few songs have the complex cord changes this old one has.

I loved this song as a kid. I had no idea till now that it was Sergio Medes (y)

This is very true. While I still listen to things like Metallica, Guns and Roses, AC/DC, Sabbath and Ozzy, the Stones, Moody Blues, Zeppelin, Maiden...etc, I also listen to Rammstein, Nightwish (introduced to on here!), Eminem, Rihanna, Shinedown, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch and am always willing to listen to something I've never heard, particularly if it's heavy music, as that's generally what I prefer.

That said, I don't know if age is the sole factor in why this happens. I returned the favour and introduced a few members here to Nightwish and I know that some of the guys that really liked it are not young; decades older than me. It seems that to me, certain people hit a point and get "comfortable" and this can apply to some things, or every thing in their life, including music and film taste.

I can appreciate both old and new bands and music for what they are. For instance Disturbed remade The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel and total killed it. It’s amazing. Disturbed’s version is completely different and to be honest way better. Still enjoy the original though.

I can appreciate both old and new bands and music for what they are. For instance Disturbed remade The Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel and total killed it. It’s amazing. Disturbed’s version is completely different and to be honest way better. Still enjoy the original though.
Susan Boyle did a fabulous cover version of Rolling Stone's "Wild Horses" and Eva Cassidy did a beautiful cover of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"

True dat. I listened to Disturbed "Sounds of Silence" and listened to S&G original. I could not believe the difference. I mean I knew there was one, but to hear them back to back is amazing. I'm old school. Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" is 98% correct for me. To each their own.

Every generation has had myriad musical offerings. Even within genres, there were popular and niche offerings. Even for albums I consider good or even my favorite there were awful tracks. To be honest, I think that the majority of tracks on albums from artists I really like are just OK, with at least a few that are truly awful. I listen to classic rock, hip hop, 90s grunge, house, and other genres and I can say for sure that at least 80% of each is garbage. At least now I can skip, skip, skip until I hear what I want.

Some songs are subjectively not to my taste, while I could make a strong case for many being objectively bad.

Most popular music is supremely dumbed down, made to sound catchy rather than actual good music.

But if you dig a little deeper there is still some serious, serious talent out there. I mainly listen to metal and there are some absurdly talented musicians and/or bands around.

Most popular music is supremely dumbed down, made to sound catchy rather than actual good music.

But if you dig a little deeper there is still some serious, serious talent out there. I mainly listen to metal and there are some absurdly talented musicians and/or bands around.

Exactly right! People hear one or a dozen ”popular” artists and assume this is what people listen to the majority of the time.

I‘ll listen to a banger and enjoy the heck out of it, but the songs that move me aren’t usually popular. They might be classic rock, grunge, hip hop or pop; it doesn’t matter. If it makes me happy, what does it matter? It’s not like I’m listening to music to learn how to rocket surgery!

This “my music and [insert cultural reference here] is better than yours” is absurd!

I think it’s reasonable that some prefer analog musical instruments to electronic music. A composed piece no matter what the genre.
It’s not old vs young many young prefer analog instruments instead of electronic as well.
I think actually done of the void had been filled by the country music industry.

Many of todays top “hits” in the music apps are just vocal with an electronic backup, stuff anyone can do in any bar. It’s void of creativity.

Last edited:
I counter with a quote (OK, paraphrase), from the great and curmudgeonly Danny Finkleman, who hosted a very enjoyable Oldies show on CBC radio Saturday evenings:

"Folks, there are only eight notes, and there are only so many ways you can arrange them, and by 1974, and some would say earlier, all of the good ones were used up!"

😉

Back