thermostat issues/ overheating honda civic 2000 lx

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi. everyone. few days ago i went to auto parts store and buy all 3 sensors( honda civic lx 00' manual) two for temp, and one for the gauges. i been always using prestone 50/50 mix coolant or super tech 50/50 mix green stuff from walmart and didn't have issues before, besides once they did a head shaving/resurfacing. i also buy a carquest thermostat and carquest coolant 50/50 mix, and i also bought a lower hose that is connecting engine with radiator. radior is kind a new ( one year old) went to friend of mine to radiator shop and did a radiator flush with prestone flush+clear and distilled water running engine on high heat up to operating temp when fan start kicking in, then flush that solution out. then he change all 3 sensors and he installed new carquest thermostat, adding coolant to radiator and everything else...but after 2 days my engine starting to overheat up to middle of gauge, when i was parked on red light. not when i was driving. only when motor is running on red light etc... i don't understand we did everything and car is overheating now? someone tell me that if i bought a sensors aftermarket like autozone, napa, o'reilleys they will failed and they not like original honda oem parts. went today to honda dealer parts store, but those parts with thermostat will cost me 200$ on the door, they are expensive. i don't know what to do? i'am thinking maybe is a head gasked,and i did checked, but there is no water on oil cap. i did change water pump last year, and all other maint service. any advice or suggestions, thanks.....

Typically running to the middle of the guage, which is a glorified idiot light [no disrespect] is not overheating. Did it boil over?

Having said that, it's possible the sensor changes has the gauge showing the engine as running a little hotter. Or changing the thermostat or milling of the head has the engine running hotter. W/O an actual reading you have no idea if the car is overheating or exactly how hot it's running. Before I swapped out any more parts I would want to know what the water temperature is. A scan tool can easily provide that data in most cases, that's how we checked water and transmission temps in my 00 Century. It could still be normal, I'd check it first.

Last edited:
Agree with others that getting it bled should be confirmed. And be sure the fan is wired (plugged). Running around the middle of the gauge is typical/normal more times than not.
Quote " i'am thinking maybe is a head gasked,and i did checked, but there is no water on oil cap." Don't worry about the oil cap.

Unless its obvious (boiling over), doesn't seem like its overheating.

You say the gauge gets up to the middle when stopped, what/where does it run when peddling down the road? It shouldn't fluctuate a lot and if it does, I'd try another thermostat... perhaps a OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: max45
i went to auto parts store and buy all 3 sensors

Why did it occur to your friend to change all three sensors? I'll assume it was already overheating before you worked on it?

besides once they did a head shaving/resurfacing.
i'am thinking maybe is a head gasked,and i did checked

Check the compression before you burn any more money. Once a car is a blower of headgaskets, always a blower of headgaskets.

but those parts with thermostat will cost me 200$ on the door, they are expensive.

Maybe your friend should have done a little diagnostic work before he had you go out and waste a ton of money on a bunch of parts. Now you have a bunch of questionable extra parts installed that may be causing additional problems.

I guess I don't understand how the car is overheating if gauge is in the middle. Please clarify this please.

What temp thermostat did you install? Based on your paragraph, I don't see any overheating.

it's actually over half of the gauge. on honda civic normal oper temp should be always little less than half of gauge

Ok. So it is running warmer then before, but not overheating. Are you sure you put the right temp thermostat in? A 190-210 would make that difference or any similar jump in temp on thermostat.

Does the gauge ever go to hot?

I have a 2000 HX - should be same spec thermostat, rad, etc.

Some data (I have an ultraguage)
OEM thermostat is 180* and normal operation in normal temps go from 176-190 ish. On warmer days, 188-203 depending on driving vs stop lights, etc.

Cooling fan comes on around 206-208. The temp gauge in the car does not move until ~218-200 (hard to remember, only experienced it once in 100* heat going up the Grapevine - long uphill grade for you non SoCals)

Just make sure that your cooling fan is actually coming on - it should well before your temp gauge moves.

it's actually over half of the gauge. on honda civic normal oper temp should be always little less than half of gauge

Yes, the gauge should read at the bottom of the temp picture of the gauge, just shy of the half way point.

I have had problems with aftermarket thermostats opening improperly, the 2 I tried were from Napa however, I just sucked it up and paid the $18 for an OEM one.

Replacing the thermostat on a d16 is a piece of cake it should take you 30mins - 1hr to do your first time, I would NOT pay anybody to change something that easy to access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007
Ok. So it is running warmer then before, but not overheating. Are you sure you put the right temp thermostat in? A 190-210 would make that difference or any similar jump in temp on thermostat.

Does the gauge ever go to hot?

This is a good suggestion. I think the stock ones are supposed to be 170F. At least that's what it is in my Acura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back