Thermostat and radiator hoses as preventative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replace my hoses, thermostat and cap about every 100k. Maybe it's excessive, but I haven't had one fail since the 80's.

I leave hoses alone unless they show signs of degradation or damamge from clamps cutting in. They last a long time provided the car is not overheating and coolant is replaced at proper intervals.

I recently replaced one on my 2000 Holden with 235,000 km because the clamp was cutting in a bit (someone had overtightened at some point). I sliced the old hose open to inspect; the rubber was still in excellent condition, nice and pliable with no sign of degradation inside. YMMV.

Note: If your hoses have built in plastic housings, such as a "T" fitting, mid hose. You might want to change it as preventative maintenance.

The hose often holds up a very long time, but the molded plastic often cracks early.

It depends on your car and how susceptible those parts are to failure.

On a E46 BMW for example you are lucky if get over 6 years of life out of your thermostat.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Note: If your hoses have built in plastic housings, such as a "T" fitting, mid hose. You might want to change it as preventative maintenance.

The hose often holds up a very long time, but the molded plastic often cracks early.
Neighbor just did a DIY 4 hour replace of 2 plastic elbows on a older Pontiac Grand Am, 1 was leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back