The Top 25 Overrated Singers Of All Time

You'd be amazed what an "untrained" singer can manage.

(Yes-Meat Loaf is entirely self-taught. The opening of Rock And Roll Hero is accurate.)

I'm not saying an untrained singer can't be great. There is sheer talent and there is hard work and training. Most singers in whatever at some point get some vocal coaching especially if they start to get raspy on tours. And I like Meatloaf (just ate some coincidentally :) ) but he sounds absolutely horrible now the last few times I've heard him.

I don't think Freddy Mercury had any vocal lessons under his belt either and he is one of the best of all time, although he was a classically trained pianist and some of that may have contributed to getting some tips on singing as well...

• Wow
Reactions: GON
His last few years, yes, ML's voice was pretty much shot. (His untrained singing and powerful vocals were brutal on his voice.) He spent almost 50 years singing (started on Broadway) with no training, and often did 250-300 shows a year.

According to New Arena these are the 25 most Overrated Singers of all time >>>>>>>>>>

New Arena

25 ) Katy Perry
24 ) Ozzy Osbpurne
23 ) Camila Cabello
22 ) Axl Rose
21 ) Dave Mathews
20 ) Lou Reed
19 ) Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
18 ) Britney Spears
17 ) Adam Levine ( Maroon 5 )
16 ) Rihanna
15 ) Avril Lavigne
14 ) Bono (U2)
13 ) Selena Gomez
12 ) Sid Vicious
11 ) Janet Jackson
10 ) Kurt Kobain
9 ) Miley Cyrus
8 ) Chris Martin ( Coldplay )
7 ) Bob Dylan
6 ) Taylor Swift
5 ) Ed Sheeran
4 ) Madonna
3 ) Justin Bieber
2 ) Jennifer Lopez
1 ) Jim Morrison
WHAT!! No Tiny Tim?

I'm not saying an untrained singer can't be great. There is sheer talent and there is hard work and training. Most singers in whatever at some point get some vocal coaching especially if they start to get raspy on tours. And I like Meatloaf (just ate some coincidentally :) ) but he sounds absolutely horrible now the last few times I've heard him.

I don't think Freddy Mercury had any vocal lessons under his belt either and he is one of the best of all time, although he was a classically trained pianist and some of that may have contributed to getting some tips on singing as well...
He died in January, BTW.

And yes, Mercury was phenomenally talented.

I don’t know anyone that ever said Tiny was overrated. That would mean there was someone, anyone that thought he was a good singer. If anyone did utter those words they were either lying or deaf.
Come to think about it I don't think anybody ever said he was a singer.

Since the title says singer, not groups...Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, George Thorogood, lead singer(s) for ACDC, Jim Morrison, Mick Jagger, Aaron Neville, Michael Bubble, Prince, Darius Rucker, Yoko Ono, Tom Petty, and any rap or hip hop artist...

I like a few Robert Plant songs. In the Mood, Big Log, and Sea of Love (Honeydrippers aka Robert Plant solo?). I like Led Leppelin, but the unknown songs and not the overplayed ones.

Freddy Mercury was a natural talent but so good even Montserrat Caballe wanted to sing with him, they did in Barcelona.

Back