The thrill is gone: B.B. King passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
For those of us whom love the blues genre, we've lost a possibly the consummate entertainer in the world of blues. One of the true great delta blues musicians, B.B. King, is dead at 89.

I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert perhaps a dozen times at various venues over the years, from large stadiums to small dinner theaters. He always put on a great show and never failed to impress. I felt it so important to share his talent with my family that I took my kids to his 80th Birthday tour, even though they were very young, just so they could have the experience and say they had at least seen him once in their lifetime.

Godspeed Mr. King; you will be missed.

Ironically, when Ben E. King died a couple weeks ago, B.B. King had to issue a press release because some people couldn't tell the difference.
wink.gif

Two greats gone in such a short period of time....

I saw him about a year ago - seeing someone at that age still performing and doing what they love is pretty cool.

Real music artists are passing too quickly
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I saw him about a year ago - seeing someone at that age still performing and doing what they love is pretty cool.

Real music artists are passing too quickly
frown.gif

Take heart. Justin Bieber is still around.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I saw BB King at the New Orleans Jazz Fest in 1994, or thereabouts. He was basically the entire show for me. The Neville Brothers and Jimmy Vaughn were also there, but BB was the one to see.

RIP B.B.

What a lot of people don't realize is that blues was where rock and roll originated from. Spin a few bands' debut lps (Rolling Stones,Animals,Kinks,etc) and most of th entire lp will be blues covers. Pink Floyd got their name from two blues musicians.

So sad to hear.

My wife and I had the great pleasure of seeing him 3 or 4 years ago at a medium sized venue- what an excellent musician and a wonderful performer.

My brother had the privilege of working security and spending several hours with BB King while I watched from afar. He was a very kind person. Just like many of our older persons, he loved to tell stories. After playing a fabulous concert, I watched a man that at times struggled to walk - sit on his tour bus steps, sign autographs, and take photos with hundreds of fans. He gave away personalized guitar picks. He stayed until 2AM and did not leave until he made sure that every fan had a photo or autograph. This man was a living legend, but still adored his fans. There can never be another like him and we have lost another one of our legends. His memory will live on through his music and I wish him Godspeed.

My absolute favorite performance:

There's a few ghosts on that stage... So sad. So many talented performers gone.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard- a very sad day for anyone who likes the blues. He was one of the all-time greats, and always seemed to be a genuinely good & kind man.

Who will bring Lucille to life now?
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back