The Tesla Roadster 2.0 has been released!

PXL_20230103_215556764.jpg

I thought the first roadster, based on a Lotus chassis, was awesome. And it weighed about 2800 lbs, just a bit more than half what the latest models weigh.
Details on the second roadster are sparse, but according to Wikipedia it is an actual car. It looks much bigger & heavier than the first roadster. And the claimed 0-60 time of 1.9 seconds sounds dubious, since tire traction isn't much more than 1G, and 0-16 at a constant 1 G of acceleration is about 2.7 seconds. To do it in 1.9 seconds requires about 1.45 G of traction, impossible with street legal tires.

I thought the first roadster, based on a Lotus chassis, was awesome. And it weighed about 2800 lbs, just a bit more than half what the latest models weigh.
Details on the second roadster are sparse, but according to Wikipedia it is an actual car. It looks much bigger & heavier than the first roadster.
And the claimed 0-60 time of 1.9 seconds sounds dubious, since tire traction isn't much more than 1G, and 0-16 at a constant 1 G of acceleration is about 2.7 seconds. To do it in 1.9 seconds requires about 1.45 G of traction, impossible with street legal tires.
Here is a list of the fastest 0-60 times for EVs. How is it that so many of them show acceleration well below 2.7 seconds? Thanks!

Here is a list of the fastest 0-60 times for EVs. How is it that so many of them show acceleration well below 2.7 seconds? Thanks!
Down to about 2.5 sec seems reasonable because the best sticky tires can give about 1.1 G of traction.
Less than that, I don't know. They're accelerating faster than normally available traction.
The Aspark Owl doing 0-60 at 1.67 secs means an average of 1.6 Gs of acceleration. Where do they get tires with that kind of traction? R compound tires can do that, but most are not street legal, and the street legal ones (like Hoosiers) don't last more than 1000 miles on the street.

Back