The Silverado saga continues!

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, many will recall my humorous thread about my buddy's high mileage 4.8L powered Silverado work truck. If not, the original can be found here:

So, fast forward to now, my buddy has been driving his RAM 2500 to work because he pulled the 2010 Silverado off the road when he discovered the frame was rotten. He'd been in discussion with his superior at HO with respect to getting a newer truck and the talk was about a 2015 F-150 that was in the fleet. Well, due to COVID and slowing business they instead decided to ship him another 2010 Silverado, but, prior to doing so, asked him if that was OK. He said yes, as long as it was 4x4, crew cab and safe.

This is what they sent him. It's basically a black version of his previous truck, but in even worse shape: the driver door was falling off and the driver's side frame rail is swiss cheese. Needless to say, this isn't going into service. He's quite frustrated at this point since I guess they have at least 5 of these trucks and he suspects they are all going to be in similar condition but they may try to send him another one if he send this one to the wreckers.

Now for the pics:
2020-10-08.jpg

2020-10-08 (1).jpg

2020-10-08 (2).jpg

I did not realize the rust issue on the 2007-2011 were this bad. You can see the cost cutting here....

WOW That's a lot of damage!

Seriously though, that's pretty crazy. I'm glad I don't live any farther north.

I feel bad for you guys up there with all that rust.

I'm keeping my Jeep forever. In 50 years I'll crawl under it and it'll look just fine.

My 34 year old Chevy farm truck doesn’t even look that bad and it pretty much lived in road salt and cow manure all winter.

It's that dumb wax coating they use that comes off after a month. The frame on my LR3 is basically perfect (light surface rust on some welds, but otherwise 100% black still) and it's an 07, been in snow/salt most its life. Same with my liberty, other than the cast iron control arms up front and the rear axle, it has absolutely no rust. Like zero.

Speaking of control arms, I was looking at Rock Auto to price ball joints for a 2011 Silverado and the choices depended on the lower control arms which could be cast iron, aluminum and perhaps normal steel ones. Do the cast iron ones have a different look from steel ones ( if they exist)?

Few months ago I parked next to Silverado at the liquor store. Going out carrying beer, did not pay attention and I catch rusted part above wheels with pocket of my shorts and pull out like 8 inches of rusted body part (nothing happened to the shorts). I was looking at it for like 30 seconds could not believe what happened. I told guy whose truck is, and he is: well, actually it could be worse. And he just left.

First Toyota copied GM and started making the same model for years. Now GM is copying Toyota with corrosion. Small world.

Poorly maintained fleet vehicles are hit the worst in salty areas. Back in 2013 in college I worked for a department on campus that had a work van, a 2003 Ford Windstar. It had 31,000 miles on it, and had to be scrapped due to the rust issues it had. It was never washed, and only made short trips around campus, the salty snow would just stay stuck to it as it rotted away in the covered parking garage.

I feel bad for you guys up there with all that rust.

I'm keeping my Jeep forever. In 50 years I'll crawl under it and it'll look just fine.
Rust is not happening here at all, no winter road salts … but even after saltwater and sand, mud, brackish water crossings etc … I park short on the driveway and once cooled down do a three stage rinse with a reciprocal sprinkler

Rotten rockers - see it all the time on the 3 majors. This one is really bad with the frame rust holes.
2012 and older - if they have not had rust protection sprays - Krown, Rust Check, etc.
At that point it is a $500 truck - which is scrap value.

Back