The Ranger is finally giving up

That's awesome to hear creekside...

Motor running good too right ??
So far it is. I did a camshaft synchronizer about 25k miles ago and will do it again in 25k or so. Been on Rotella SB 10w30 for a long time and it is getting switched to Schaeffer 5w40 when that runs out. Hot heat, cold air and 26mpg on the highway. Went through the cooling system a couple years ago as the hoses and water pump were original. Did WP, thermostat, all hoses, and heater core and put new G-05 in.

So far it is. I did a camshaft synchronizer about 25k miles ago and will do it again in 25k or so. Been on Rotella SB 10w30 for a long time and it is getting switched to Schaeffer 5w40 when that runs out. Hot heat, cold air and 26mpg on the highway. Went through the cooling system a couple years ago as the hoses and water pump were original. Did WP, thermostat, all hoses, and heater core and put new G-05 in.
A tip on the synchronizer, there's a small oil passage on the housing. When I last replaced it, I poured oil into the hole and let it sit until I was pretty sure the inside was as full as I could get it, then installed. That synchro has outlived all the others by far. Factory one failed somewhere around 60-65k, the replacement went 80k something miles, and the current is over 100k (knock on wood) with no symptoms. I replace it when the truck starts squealing or bucking. I've yet to have one fail to the point of losing oil pressure. I think that usually happens when people ignore the other symptoms that typically show up first.

Little update on the transmission rebuild, just got home from a 1100 mile (3 day) road trip in the truck and had no issues whatsoever. It did have to go back to the transmission shop the day before I left as the exhaust all but fell off the truck. It seems the install guy thought the rubber hangers were optional. When I got under the truck to see what was going on with the exhaust I found the fill plug about to fall out and leaking ATF everywhere. I let the shop have it over the phone and the owner finally agreed to stay late and see what he could do, I got the impression that he didn't believe me when I called to make them aware of the issues. Once the issues were corrected he was very apologetic about the quality of work that came from one of his techs. Pretty disappointed that I spent over $2300 and had that kind of stuff happen.

Little update on the transmission rebuild, just got home from a 1100 mile (3 day) road trip in the truck and had no issues whatsoever. It did have to go back to the transmission shop the day before I left as the exhaust all but fell off the truck. It seems the install guy thought the rubber hangers were optional. When I got under the truck to see what was going on with the exhaust I found the fill plug about to fall out and leaking ATF everywhere. I let the shop have it over the phone and the owner finally agreed to stay late and see what he could do, I got the impression that he didn't believe me when I called to make them aware of the issues. Once the issues were corrected he was very apologetic about the quality of work that came from one of his techs. Pretty disappointed that I spent over $2300 and had that kind of stuff happen.

Good thing you got that straight right away creekside...

Wow... Leaving a drain plug nearly falling out is inexcusable. And ATF coming out is not a desirable event by any measure.

Back