The Official Cheapskates Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Im starting a thread where people can postideas on how to save money. Feel free to analyze all you want - the more the better!

Ill start... Idea #1: Fruit Juice

I like fruit juice. However the typical tropicana or simply orange brands are at best $1.99/half gallon. I dont particularly see other brands at much better prices.

I can buy frozen juice concentrate for 79c for the mall package, which makes 64 fl. oz... some of the shelved bottles arent even that much but rather 59 fluid ounces!!!

Its easy to save >$1.29 per typical unit of juice by doing the frozen concentrate thing... Its all I remember ever drinking when I was little.

Estimated savings per week: $0.99-1.29
Estimated savings per year: $51-67

JMH

This is probably not want you want to hear, but you would be better off eating the same $ amount of fresh fruit and drinking water for fluid content. fruit juice leaves the most healthful part of the juice behind.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
This is probably not want you want to hear, but you would be better off eating the same $ amount of fresh fruit and drinking water for fluid content. fruit juice leaves the most healthful part of the juice behind.

If you are limiting your choice to frozen concentrate or fresh, go for the frozen if $ matters more then the minor effort of mixing frozen. It's just as beneficial.
cheers.gif

Any DIY work on your own car.

Oil change. 5qts good synthetic oil $25, filter $8.
$32 total and can be assured the plug is in corretly and the filter is not left loose.

Front End rebuild. Parts $45, labor for pressing bushings $50.

cost $95. Add in a $45 alignment for total of $130.
Quoted job at shop $650.

Yeah, I know the whole fruit juice is bad bit... and I at a LOT of fresh fruit and vegetables... But at breakfast, I just really like some juice, I guess its what Im used to.
dunno.gif
besides my fiancee, Im the healthiest eater I know!

JMH

Have you ever seen how much sodium is in a vegetable cocktail drink like V8?
shocked.gif
640mg per 250ml serving, that's 25 percent of the RDA of sodium. Fast-track to hypertension right there
wink.gif

Got a free oak TV Stand (road kill), fixed it nicely. Sanded and finished it with $5 materials. Bought a used Sony 27" TV (top of the line model), $70. The guy gave me his excellent VCR for free (said he doesn't watch tapes any more). (He is moving down to SF). Had my Hong Kong DVD player already, so for $75 I have a better than average kids/family room entertainment cart.

We often dilute juices to a 50:50 blend. I don't need that much liquid sugar when I drink although I don't care for plain water.

Haven't had to buy a PC since 1994; just stay behind the technology curve a few
rolleyes.gif
years (although family is starting to protest a bit).

Like Pablo, we have our place furnished with a few roadkills, plus lots of garage sale items and stuff I've made.

Our focus is to get our house debt paid.

Check the labels on homebranded items, such as cheeses, baked beans etc etc.

You will invariably find that they are identical in every respect to a name branded item costing a fair bit more (3 to 4 times the price on beans).

Learn to cook...from scratch, rather than buying gravies etc.

Oh...and take your own lunch to work.

Based on what colleagues buy per day (which I'd never eat so much), I'm $4 per working day better off.

Not purchasing big name vehicles!!!
(and if I do, make sure to purchase them older, after they have been established as being a good buy for reliability.)

Sure I do have a BMW, but it's older and get's alot of compliments for it's condition. I do all my own mainenance or I get my independent mech to do repairs that are too big for me.

But for a daily driver, you'd be suprised at the quality you can find from NA vehicles as long as you do your homework, and ensure that the vehicle was maintained by it's PO. Also ensure that you always maintain your car..it only take a few minutes a month and can save you thousands over the lifespan of the vehicles life!

5% back using my citibank card at grocery stores, drugstores, gas stations. Walmarts with a grocery section counts as a grocery store.
smile.gif

speaking of... there are cheaper stores than walmart... people don't believe this. Just bought 1/2 gallon refill of glass cleaner at dollar tree for $1... probably $3 at wally's.

Buy my milk at the farm on my way home from work, my meat at the butcher next to the supermarket. Lots more stops, extremely low additional fuel consumption. Use supermarket only for loss-leader stuff.

Father in law does carpentry around my house and I do auto mechanics in return for his fleet.

Any auto parts purchase over $50 I research online to see if I can do better on ebay. Saturn lower control arm... $120 dealer, $70 advance auto, $39.95 + $12 shipping ebay.

What I, and all the other Aussies on this board don't understand is Americans obsession with cheap. You have more free money than any other nation yet you never mention quality, you just want cheap. Australians want quality and insist on it whatever the cost. What drives this American obsession with cheap as it really screws our minds up??

My wife and I save a ton of money using coupons for the grocery store, only on items that we normally use.

We also do not pay clothes at regular price. We shop at outlet stores, clearance sections and during sales.

For those of you with kids, try shopping at Target or the cheaper places for clothes. The clothes look great and the kids will outgrow them before they wear them out. Try the clearance sections for clothes at Old Navy, Gap, Sears, etc. We also share "hand me down" clothes and shoes among friends and family, saves a ton on a kid who grows like a weed
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
What I, and all the other Aussies on this board don't understand is Americans obsession with cheap. You have more free money than any other nation yet you never mention quality, you just want cheap. Australians want quality and insist on it whatever the cost. What drives this American obsession with cheap as it really screws our minds up??

I must be a closet Aussie! I'm more concerned with getting a quality product for my money rather than seeing how cheap I can get it.

I'll also patronize businesses with good customer service over poor-even if they cost a bit more.

I purchase as much on line as possible. It avoids sales tax and shipping is frequently free. I also save fuel because I'm not out driving around looking for something.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:

Youre absolutely right... I'm not for absolute cheap wal-mart junk when I'm buying 'real' items, whether electronics, appliances, or even things that can effect my comfort, like shoes, mattresses, etc.

However, tips for improving 'operating efficiencies' where they can be easily improved - say better quality for the same money or same quality for less money, why not???

There is so much variety available, and so many trying to fence supposedly 'equivalent' junk for the same money as real 'better' stuff, that being a smart and educated consumer is the smart way to be... Dont worry, most of our fellow citizens pi$$ their money away very quickly... and most of the real free money is held by very few people - your average BITOGer doesnt touch it.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Have you ever seen how much sodium is in a vegetable cocktail drink like V8?
shocked.gif
640mg per 250ml serving, that's 25 percent of the RDA of sodium. Fast-track to hypertension right there
wink.gif

Wrong. sodium is not necessarily bad. (on 60 mile bicycle ride I can sweat out over 2500 mg salt)

Salt is only bad for those that don't exercise (sweat) and have hypertension.

Took my BP at walmart the other day 109/60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back