The MiG-25 Foxbat

Thanks Astro. I don't know why, but I find this kind of stuff fascinating. Jet engines are so much more than a big tube with a fuel nozzle stuck in them. It's unbelievable they are able to put out the power they do, at the temperatures they do, for as long as they do.

I read the jet engines on the German ME-262 in WW II had a TBO of just 16 hours. Today with the newer high Nickel alloys and ceramics, that runs into the many thousands of hours. Not to mention the increase in power that goes along with that added longevity.

While design is important, it's all about the materials, which are more art than science. I remember a materials science prof (I took an overview course) specialized in superalloys and would talk about how single crystal turbine blades were so important. And this was back in the early 90s. The Chinese would kill for the ability to make single-crystal turbine blades like GE, Pratt, or RR can. Even in the 80s the US and UK had far better metallurgy.

I've got some experience with the MiG-25.

Designed in the early 1960s as a defensive response to the XB-70 (a Mach 3 bomber), the MiG-25 was intended as a high speed interceptor only. The airframe made extensive use of stainless steel for heat resistance, which made it heavy. The Russians considered the use of titanium, but it was expensive and difficult to machine, so steel was chosen.

It's a big airplane, over 70,000 lbs, with huge engine inlets optimized for high Mach flight.

The Tumansky R-15 engines are horrible fuel-guzzlers at low speed and altitude but their low compression ratio allows them to operate at high Mach in combination with the engine inlets. Flight is limited to 2.8 Mach due to total air temperature (free stream energy of the air, raised by speed) and the engine turbine temperature, but the airplane could go considerably faster, if you were willing to overtemp the engines.

When it first flew in the early 1960s, we believed that it was a maneuverable fighter, and the F-15 was built in response.

But the airplane was a big, lumbering interceptor, and at maximum weight, could only pull 2.3 G. About the same as the Boeing 737, or any other airliner, for comparison. It is not a fighter, it simply doesn't have the lift, or the airframe strength, to turn hard like regular fighters.

Its weaponry was designed to kill supersonic bombers. The AA-6 missile was quite similar in size and lethality to the AIM-54 (and both were based on the earlier AIM-47 proposed by Hughes). The radar had no "look down" capability. It did not do well seeing a fighter, or any other target, below it. It was intended to find a huge bomber that was flying above it, against a clear, uncluttered background, not a smaller target against the clutter of ground return. The radar itself used vacuum tubes and alcohol (ethanol) for cooling to manage the extremes of heat from high speed flight. Maintenance crews tended to drink the alcohol, so radar reliability was a bit of a problem.

A MiG-25 famously overflew Israel in the late 1960s, so fast that it could not be caught by Israeli interceptors (F-4 Phantoms) which prompted Israel to buy the F-15.

We did not realize the airplane's limitations: temperature, G load, maneuverability, radar, until 1976, when Victor Belenko flew his MiG-25 to Hakodate, Japan and defected. We were surprised the airplane's many limitations.

It remains one of the fastest airplanes ever built, even with those limitations.

Victor Belenko wrote a book, "MiG Pilot" about his experience in the Soviet Air Force and his flight to Japan. I recommend it.

When Victor was at Oceana in the late 1980s, I heard him speak, had a few beers with him at the O'Club, and got him to autograph my copy of that book.

When Victor was briefed on the F-14, its maneuverability, speed, and its AIM-54 missile system (with long range and simultaneous shot capability), he knew the Soviet Air Force couldn't compete. The intelligence officer who briefed them said that, "It may be possible to overwhelm the F-14 with numbers", meaning, against a pair of F-14s, send up dozens of MiG-25 fighters to get shot down, with the hope that a few would survive once the F-14s ran out of missiles. It was this brief on the F-14 that was part of his decision to defect.

It is believed that LCDR Scott Speicher was shot down by a MiG-25. There is more to that story, and to US combat experience with the airplane, but in deference to "Spike", and to the friends I have who were on that mission, not to mention classification, we will leave that discussion for another day.
I read Victor's book when I was in jr. high. IT was one of my favorites of all-time. I think I remember him saying that the radar was so powerful that they could kill a rabbit with it if they turned it on while on the ground.

That airplane went like a bullet....and turned like one, too!

I had an older friend of mine who passed back in 2000, who worked at the Skunk Works all his life. He started there in the 50's. He gave me this as a gift back in the 90's. The flags were flown on the SR-71, along with signed certificates by the pilots who flew them. They have the date, max altitude, and speed they were flown at.

He told me an interesting story once, how Lockheed went through some very tough times financially for a short period, back in the 50's. Kelly Johnson called a meeting with everyone on the floor, and explained that he didn't have the funds to make the payroll for the next few weeks. And personally promised his his people if they stayed, they would get paid.

Many walked out and left. My friend, along with many others stayed, and were paid everything they were owed. He told me Kelly Johnson personally called him, and the rest into his office one at a time to hand them their late paychecks, and thanked them personally.

The word went out to the rest of management those people were to be left alone, and never harassed or disciplined by anyone. Anything concerning them was to be brought to Kelly Johnson himself, and he would take care of it. They were deemed "untouchable" at that point to the rest of the management team.

W5Tfsfh.jpg

the plane was built to do one thing, intercept supersonic bombers. the cia a12 and later sr71 tormented air defences and there was zero they could do about it

su-11 and su-15 were tasked with dealing with subsonic bombers, airliners and other easier threats

the plane was built to do one thing, intercept supersonic bombers. the cia a12 and later sr71 tormented air defences and there was zero they could do about it

su-11 and su-15 were tasked with dealing with subsonic bombers, airliners and other easier threats

The F-14 and Phoenix missile was designed for that too, but they thought of air superiority on top of that. I recall Astro said that the Phoenix was designed to take out several aircraft at the same time with its massive warhead.

The F-14 and Phoenix missile was designed for that too, but they thought of air superiority on top of that. I recall Astro said that the Phoenix was designed to take out several aircraft at the same time with its massive warhead.
Not exactly. The AIM-54 was lethal to anything with that big warhead, including both fighters and bombers, though it was originally designed primarily for bombers.

The F-14 was the first jet that could fire simultaneously on multiple targets, but it did so with multiple missiles.

One Phoenix for each target.

Not exactly. The AIM-54 was lethal to anything with that big warhead, including both fighters and bombers, though it was originally designed primarily for bombers.

The F-14 was the first jet that could fire simultaneously on multiple targets, but it did so with multiple missiles.

One Phoenix for each target.

My bad. You said that it was designed for one F-14 to take out a squadron of bombers, it appears you meant by firing multiple missiles at multiple targets and not just one and hoping it would take out several. But I guess it was still big enough explosion to take out two aircraft flying too close to each other.

Of course I don't expect you to answer whether or not there was that rumored nuclear version. I asked a coworker who would only say the trite "I can neither confirm nor deny......"

r-40 was designed to make sure the nuclear bomber went down. 7 times heavier than r3. mig25 probably couldn’t have intercepted the american mach 3 b70 to be honest

america had a similar idea and they strapped long range missiles to the cia a12 plane which would be a serious threat. that missile tech ended up on the tomcat

Last edited:
r-40 was designed to make sure the nuclear bomber went down. 7 times heavier than r3. mig25 probably couldn’t have intercepted the american mach 3 b70 to be honest

america had a similar idea and they strapped long range missiles to the cia a12 plane which would be a serious threat. that missile tech ended up on the tomcat

I definitely heard about A-12 and the experimental YF-12. I've seen the retired one they had at the California Science Center in LA.

a-12-in-science-center-garden.jpg

Not sure if the F-12 would have been a great idea with all the limitations of the platform. Carefully planning a reconnaissance flight is way different than scrambling an aircraft. Didn't it need careful planning, including refueling and that unique fuel?

Back