The EV battery discussion thread (bogus breakthroughs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider that roughly 10 pounds of coal has the energy of a gallon of gas, how many miles can a Tesla go (on the highway) on 10 pounds of coal. With 37% being our best coal plant efficiency.

112,000 BTU x .37 = 41440 btu/3412 (btu kwh) = 12.14 kwh. x 0.93 (grid transmission efficiency) = 11.29 KWH at the charger. x .6 (grid to wheel efficiency) = 6700 watt hours at the wheels. Or about 19.1 miles per 10 pounds of coal, highway MPG> (assuming 350 watt hours per mile highway) (some users consume 400 watt hours per mile at 80) (which would lead to 16.75 highway miles per 10 pounds coal)

But how far can it go on 20g (one pellet) of uranium? ;)

20g of uranium will generate the same amount of electricity as 400kg (882lbs) of coal.

I wonder what amount of energy went into processing that pellet?
I'm a nuke fan no doubt, but I suspect uranium enrichment is also quite energy intensive.

This is all part and parcel to the discussion of MPGe. The current comparative standard in place today.

I wonder what amount of energy went into processing that pellet?
I'm a nuke fan no doubt, but I suspect uranium enrichment is also quite energy intensive.

This is all part and parcel to the discussion of MPGe. The current comparative standard in place today.

Enrichment? Those are CANDU figures, no enrichment ;) And since all our processing happens here, and 90% of our power is nuke + hydro, you are using predominantly nuclear to make the fuel pellets and produce the bundles.

I believe the equivalency figures for LEU units (BWR and PWR) are higher. It's 20,000x the density of fossil fuels for NU, I think it's upwards of 40 or 45,000 for LEU, but of course as you noted, gas centrifuges don't operate for free.

“By 2011 something like 8 TRILLION had been spent on protecting oil.
Would we be better off spending that on our own infrastructure?

Then again, consider what the alternative would have been.

Enrichment? Those are CANDU figures, no enrichment ;) And since all our processing happens here, and 90% of our power is nuke + hydro, you are using predominantly nuclear to make the fuel pellets and produce the bundles.

I believe the equivalency figures for LEU units (BWR and PWR) are higher. It's 20,000x the density of fossil fuels for NU, I think it's upwards of 40 or 45,000 for LEU, but of course as you noted, gas centrifuges don't operate for free.

Wow no processing involved at all?

“By 2011 something like 8 TRILLION had been spent on protecting oil.
Would we be better off spending that on our own infrastructure?

Then again, consider what the alternative would have been.

To keep the petrodollar standard for oil change we pretty much have/had to secure its transport at least in known threat zones.

The US wasn't self sufficient until the last decade or so, and barely is now - we didnt have much choice.

The question is more about what we do in the future. Where best to spend our money now?

Very little compared to LEU, as there are no gas centrifuges involved. The trade-off is the lower burn-up which is why we have to refuel more frequently, and that's why our units refuel online.
Guessing that makes the density of non candu pellet higher?

Guessing that makes the density of non candu pellet higher?

That's correct, I mentioned that in that post you quoted, second half.

Cameco does our mining:

Refining:

Conversion and fuel manufacturing:

Now, Cameco is NOT the only fuel provider, but they are the largest uranium producer. BWXT also does pelleting and fuel fabrication:

As it notes, the bundles are produced here in Peterborough. I believe those go to Pickering and Darlington, as they note that it produces ~25% of Ontario's electricity, while Bruce produces >30% and I know Bruce Power is actively working with Cameco on a new fuel bundle design to potentially facilitate the major uprate and FP project at Bruce which should allow the facility to get close to 7,000MWe.

I was making sure I correctly understood what you meant by this - "The trade-off is the lower burn-up"

To keep the petrodollar standard for oil change we pretty much have/had to secure its transport at least in known threat zones.

The US wasn't self sufficient until the last decade or so, and barely is now - we didnt have much choice.

The question is more about what we do in the future. Where best to spend our money now?

For sure I definitely don’t want a repeat of 1973 and anything similar at this time would have a grave effect on the country.

For sure I definitely don’t want a repeat of 1973 and anything similar at this time would have a grave effect on the country.

I remember standing in line with the parents, and even/ odd days. It ate into my go kart fuel.
I remember it was "a crisis" - but a crisis that magically vanished when prices of crude went up.

I don't like being held hostage.

I was making sure I correctly understood what you meant by this - "The trade-off is the lower burn-up"

Gotcha. Yes, LEU can spend much longer in the reactor (up to 2 years) than NU and thus, for a given volume of fuel, will produce more power. So while it is more energy intensive to produce, if all of that were being done with nuclear or hydro, the overall emissions footprint of the process would be incredibly small.

As it stands, the "industry average" footprint for nuclear, all inclusive, including a dirty supply mix for fuel fabrication and mining/extraction/processing is 12gCO2/kWh which puts it roughly on-par with wind and about 4x lower than solar. This figure gets lower the longer the plants operate beyond the "standard" lifespan as part of that figure is based on a 30 year design life and there are of course plants now licensed for 60 years. The mid-life refurbishment at Bruce will extend its life to just short of a century.

Respectfully UD, that's not correct at all. The US has always had more than enough crude ( and other energy) to be 100% self sufficient indefinitely (as much as the world- we have more that the Middle east and the total of the NA continent even more). There are hundreds of drilled and capped wells on deck all over the country.

Those who say differently have no definitive knowledge of the subject or are parroting cherry picked data to promulgate a political narrative, not a true fact.

What the true reasoning is can be speculated but in a simple fact- we have more than enough energy capacity (raw and otherwise) and we always have. (Canada too when oil sands is factored in)

Unless we fully compute the cost of both sides the only number we have to work with is the - as delivered to the vehicle - per unit cost.
Completely correct and the problem is ( which is routinely exploited by those promoting agendas) that there has to be a well thought out "basis of estimate" or baseline data and qualifications to keep things equal and correlated.

Whatever data and yardsticks are built have to be equal for all points of the comparison.

I live in a place where electric cars are gravity powered. Hydro-electric FTMFW. (y)

BC Canadians have been using ridiculous levels of electricity for growing indoor pot, so they already have a head start in managing 1 bedroom homes that use the power of 10 bedroom mansions. When I lived in Vancouver, I think the majority of homes I visited had some sort of walled off section with light leaking through cracks. LOL

I have a lot of "anti-everything-they-are-told-to-hate" fishing buddies. They ALL claim the downsides to driving across the country in an EV, yet the longest trip any one of them has done in a car in at least 10 years was 200 miles. They fly everywhere. They are still paranoid about the long range driving even though they never do long range driving. 🤦

But how far can it go on 20g (one pellet) of uranium? ;)
Google says that one 10g pellet of produces about the same energy as 150 gallons of gas. In a 50 MPG hybrid example, that might be about 7500 miles.

Even if not really accurate, it brings up the point that EV's should be charged with nuclear power and not coal.

The EPA could mandate raising ranges to their likings, all would be happier. New efficiencies in smiles per Sievert.
And: Not a single BEV or battery thread left behind stay behind unenriched. Never again. Each and every instance needs to get converted to a vehicle of it.

Protected spaces.

Not your old LFP https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/12/20201207-vspc.html

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/12/20201201-uhtrina.html Magnesium

Last edited:
Still only the losses on one side accounted for.

I also discounted the epic loss on the oil side of the equation.
I disagree. It's pretty clear that natural gas, coal and oil (yes we still have some oil fired power plants) have EROI (energy return on investment) numbers that closely mirror gasoline. That's why "Oil and Gas" EROI numbers are considered ONE AND THE SAME.

My point remains, the BTU's consumed at the power plant really does matter and is more or less directly comparable to the liquid fuels used in transportation.

UD, it's good to recognize that EROI is in essence, energy wasted producing the fuel, and with oil and gas, it's about 5% worldwide. Coal is not far off. The numbers are too small to matter.

What matters is how much fuel is burned to go a mile in each type of vehicle. I maintain that an EV, powered by a fuel burning power plant is not as efficient as a modern hybrid.

Put another way, the power plant in a hybrid is 41% efficient, and directly drives the wheels.

Even if not really accurate, it brings up the point that EV's should be charged with nuclear power and not coal.
Didn't a Dr. Brown pioneer a hybrid effort similar to that in the 80's in a joint venture with DeLorean?

I think there was even a prototype locomotive for the rail industry too.

I remember something along those lines but it just went away and never heard from it again.

I wonder if "they" got to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back