The DEATH of XOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/JubaksJournal/IsExxonMobilsFutureRunningDry.aspx

12.gif

Quote:
The history of oil company diversification, some of it at ExxonMobil as early as the 1970s, suggests oil companies are not particularly good vehicles for developing new energy technologies.

Well DUH!! They are OIL companies!! The brilliant minds on Capitol Hill don't understand this most basic concept either.

Quote:
Could ExxonMobil reinvest more in the business of finding oil? Absolutely. The company spent $8 billion in the first quarter of 2008 alone.

But ExxonMobil has decided not to.

Why should they? Some people in Big G want to tax the liveing daylights out of them. Not exactly an incentive to find new oil reserves that your countries economy depends on.
06.gif

Quote:
"With this bill Democrats are protecting consumers," argued Reid. "Instead of helping Big Oil make more money at the expense of average Americans, we are forcing oil companies to change their ways."

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said the oil companies are "racking up obscene profits left and right" and the windfall tax will force them to "spur innovation" by directing some of that money into expanded production and development of alternative energy sources.

How scary is it that dolts like this are in control of the Country?

"predictable, more taxes, more bureaucracy." Yep. This bill will not generate anymore energy to stem the tide of prices.

I'm completely against what the Dems want to do. Not a good idea IMO.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
"With this bill Democrats are protecting consumers," argued Reid. "Instead of helping Big Oil make more money at the expense of average Americans, we are forcing oil companies to change their ways."

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said the oil companies are "racking up obscene profits left and right" and the windfall tax will force them to "spur innovation" by directing some of that money into expanded production and development of alternative energy sources.

How scary is it that dolts like this are in control of the Country?

"predictable, more taxes, more bureaucracy." Yep. This bill will not generate anymore energy to stem the tide of prices.
What is really scarey is the people who reelect these politicians over and over and over again.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What is really scarey is the people who reelect these politicians over and over and over again.

Kang or Kodos. What can you do; throw your vote away?
grin2.gif

200px-Homer_Dole_Clinton.png

There is no such thing as a "Dem", except on Fox News.

Spell it out. D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T.

You wouldn't call a Japanese by a popular 3-letter abbreviation.

So knock it off.

I vote.

/rant

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There is no such thing as a "Dem", except on Fox News.

Spell it out. D-E-M-O-C-R-A-T.

You wouldn't call a Japanese by a popular 3-letter abbreviation.

So knock it off.

I vote.

/rant

Oh don't give me that lamo "blame Fox" garbage. Frankly I'm sick of it.

From CNN. Direct QUOTE:

Quote:
Dems head into West Virginia

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/

Originally Posted By: bruno
'You wouldn't call a Japanese by a popular 3-letter abbreviation.'
Thats the ONLY way I refer to them !

Are you calling you calling my girlfriend a [censored], Ami?

"A certain intelligence governs our universe, except in certain parts of New Jersey."
— Woody Allen

Originally Posted By: moribundman
"A certain intelligence governs our universe, except in certain parts of New Jersey."
— Woody Allen

yeah yeah yeah....NJ has a lot of 1st's and good things despite it's reputation. It's not all like Sapranoland. Only the NE part.
grin2.gif

There are LOTS of ways to interpret "the numbers", which can be dependent upon what the comparison's reference point might be (usually short term, by observation). How much of their production is governed by foreign entities, for example?

Lowered production keeps the market price of crude oil higher, with the old "supply and demand" model many so-called analysts claim is driving up the price of gasoline . . . in the midst of highly abundant gasoline reserves (which should mean that supply is fully adequate to any present demand AND should be selling closer to $2.00/gallon rather than where it currently might be).

Seems like the oil industry petitioned Congress to allow a change in their accounting and inventory system which would allow them to alter pump prices as crude prices fluctuated rather than changing the pump pricing when the old-price gasoline was out of the distribution system. A change from "first in, first out" to "last in, first out", for example. At the local independent gas station, he is using the less-expensive prior fuel to purchase the higher-priced current fuel, which means his cash flow can be highly negative in times of increasing fuel prices. It would be highly interesting to see how the changed inventory accounting by the large oil companies has affected their paper fortunes.

I've observed one of the larger independent brand fuel stations change their price several times daily (over the past year or two). We observed that they didn't get any new fuel that day, but the prices changed.

I suspect that with the current "trader's-influenced" pricing and a growing global oil demand, unless something major happens, even the most fuel-efficient vehicle will cost too much to operate.

And, right in the middle of the old "supply and demand" reasons for high gasoline prices, one company advertises that there are enough reserves to power ___billion cars for 60 (maybe a higher number?) years. If there are that many currently-known reserves in the USA, it would take many new refineries to process it and many new pipelines to move it. Nobody really seems interested in growing the existing infrastructure to make that happen . . . for many reasons. Of course, they probably can't make a good business case for new refineries as more supply would decrease prices and profits, in theory, which would not justify the investment . . . especially if many shareholders are more concerned with dividends than the power of the company they have invested in.

Used to be that prices would spike during the change from winter to summer fuel blends. That was also expanded to include the change from building home heating oil to gasoline. Add a few hiccups and hurricanes and things just went haywire from there!

On the exploration side of things, almost every major international and USA oil company have some sort of partnership agreement in certain oil fields. I'm not sure why some of these partnerships exist as they do, but they do.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back