The big question: Does synthetic oil increase the life of your engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Rexman:
When I was breaking in our cars using dino, it took about 10,000 miles for the engine to reach the peak of its break-in in terms of fuel economy and horsepower. Since changing to Mobil 1 about 10 years ago, I'd say it takes about 30,000 miles to reach the same stage of "complete" break-in with synthetic. That's a wear ratio of 3:1 in favor of synthetic.

Dinos have gotten better recently, so that's why my feeling is your engine lasts roughly twice (instead of three times) as long with syn. Just my subjective, seat-of-the-pants 2 cents on this.
smile.gif
That's great because since I have I think just reached peak Hp and Fuel economy (fuel for sure??)somewhere between 350-378K,
just round that down to 300K and in my application I have 10:1 over your
synthetic with my Dino :-]

The only problem is will my Body, frame and rest of auto make it til my engine dies... don't think it will, and in a properly designed and maintained engine, unless you are Speed-Racer on a race team someplace, then it just simply doesn't matter what oil you use to get to mile
300K or 1M.

Where it matters is the price. Dino's and Dino Blends can compare to fuel and cleaning and other benefits that Syn's do.

There are Quality Dinos that can go at leat if not 1/2 the distance of a good synthetic. And in most peoples cars, they will not be going 50-100K between changes, in most cars, theres always some reason to do a drain.

It's not how many million miles can we get out of one oil change, I think:
it's how many miles can this oil clean and protect and save me $$$ and pay for itself, and when something diminishes beyond my comfort level
even if it's 6K or 3K, the oil's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back