The Baldwin Filter>Impressive!!! Check It Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked a a couple of BALDWIN oil filters today, at the local FleetPride. The service was friendly. FleetPride isn't a true parts store, but does allow walk-ins. It caters to the 18-wheeler crowd, and fleets (hence name:
tongue.gif
). FYI-they may NOT have your filter, if your app, is a 1997 Honda. I have a Police Interceptor, and three local PD's asked them to stock the Baldwin filter, for the Crown Victoria.

The canister is a nifty, bright red, which is attractive. It's sturdy as a rock, much like the Mobil/K&N filters. The "innerds" look nicely constructed. The filter both flowed oil, and filtered "above average" in the study here. Many did one or the other well, but few both. Something to keep in mind.

Many people think the Pure One is the best overall filter out there. Could very well, be true. However, the canister of the Baldwin is much more robust. Being able to dent a Pure One, with my thumb, may not matter squat. Others disagree. K&N mentions the importance of spike pressure, and burst strength. The Baldwin is a tank.

Lastly, the Pure One is $6 at most outlets. The Mobil/K&N $12!~
shocked.gif
The Baldwin was $5.19 ea., and I also noticed, it was stamped on the cool red, double-tough shell: "Made In USA."
cheers.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif
patriot.gif

Many poeple on this board consider baldwin to be one of the best filters. If there were a good place to get them locally, I would use them.

I ordered mine for an Olds 98 through a local company who uses the big Baldwin filters for the big earth moving equipment, I ordered 6 filters, they could only get 4, and no word when that particular filter would again be available.

TP,
One option is to get onto the Baldwin website and do a search for a local distributor. You may be surprised... my Dad found his local Baldwin distributor at his hometown local fleet store (similar to what others have posted about stocking filters for farm equipment). Hometown population is about 2,500...mostly a farming community. So that's why I say you may be surprised how close someone may be that stocks Baldwin Filters. He purchased his Baldwin B2 filters for about $3.60 ea.! I purchased my Baldwins at the adiesel website for just shy of $5 bucks ea.

They indeed, are excellent filters, imho!!
smile.gif

For anyone in the North Central Florida area, Ring Power, a Caterpillar service dealer is a Baldwin distributor. I have gotten just about every filter I need from them, even one for my 15 HP Kohler.

I haven't got my Baldwins yet but I hope to get them to compare to my Mobil 1 M1-204's.

I actually did just get more order of Wix filters I got a 51085 and a oversize 51515 for the Jeep 2.5L. First thing I noticed is how light they are the contstruction can't be nearly as tough as the Mobil 1. They still look pretty good quality though. Good looking gaskets, red ADBV

its nice having a 4.6 ford v8, because they all use the same filter, and fleetpride always has a few in stock.

Awesome place to work with, and good filters. I used them a few years back with good luck, but bought about 10 fl820-s filters at walmart on sale, and am using them up.

I've used many Baldwin filters in industrial applications. They are a high quality filter, but have average filtration. The Purolator Pure One has finer filtration.

Baldwin tells me that Hastings filters are identical. Both are made in the same plant. Also made there are the Amsoil filters (won't say if the quality is the same or different) and lower quality filters like Casite.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I've used many Baldwin filters in industrial applications. They are a high quality filter, but have average filtration. The Purolator Pure One has finer filtration.

Baldwin tells me that Hastings filters are identical. Both are made in the same plant. Also made there are the Amsoil filters (won't say if the quality is the same or different) and lower quality filters like Casite.

Ken

I had a fairly long talk with one of their marketing guys. There are some filters that are shared by Hastings and Baldwin. But only low production items. On the more popular types Hastings is the reatil "built to a price" while the Baldwin is built to an industrial spec at a higher price point. You can see the differing construction at:
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

I can get Baldwin filters at a little parts store called "Shore Auto Parts" locally. I decided to get a PureOne just because I hadn't read much about the Baldwin filters.

I checked adiesel.com and the B33 for my Corolla is listed at like $5.30...not much of a savings on the price I paid for the PureOne at Advance Auto Parts.

dunno.gif

Dunno what to do...

'Guide me Landrew'
worshippy.gif

why the big hype on these? the linked website even stated that filtering media was 2nd lowest, and the micron rates were not that good, plus it has the BITOG Forum-says-bad-for-you nitrile ADBV rather than a most toted ( on this forum) silicone ADBV. What am I missing here???

quote:

Originally posted by Tim H.:
why the big hype on these? the linked website even stated that filtering media was 2nd lowest, and the micron rates were not that good, plus it has the BITOG Forum-says-bad-for-you nitrile ADBV rather than a most toted ( on this forum) silicone ADBV. What am I missing here???

Very solid construction, lots of media, very good filtration, and decent flow. Did I mention solid construction? Tanks.

I'd take all that over a silicon ADBV. If they had the silicon ADBV, the jury would be back, and all bets would be off.

quote:

'Guide me Landrew'
worshippy.gif

Ah ..to be of the body.....
lol.gif

Gosh ..we're everywhere ..
grin.gif

Buy a Baldwin. Look at it for a long time ...think about it. Then ask yourself, "Would I feel better using this filter?". If you're still unsure, look at it for another OCI....and ask the same question. Continue until conflict is resolved.

Ok, the Will of Landru will be followed....I will get one and check it out, just was concerned considering how many postings are on this site concerning nitrile ADBV's( just read the FRAM posts!). Perhaps I may become one with the body too!

I buy them here in Louisville at Auto Wheel and Rim for about $4.50 each for the B2.I can't imagine why someone would pay 2.99 or 3.99 for a cheap Fram. I guess some people just won't go out of their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back