Thats not good .

Had a bad smell in the laundry room thought it was drain related. It was a over charging batt. on a stored car in my basement garage. So this optima red top 4-5 years old batt. being maintained by a optima digital 1200 charger .So the charger was charging all it could cooling fan on and the charging cables hot and soft the batt. was 173 F I got the inferred heat gun out when i could not touch it ,you could here the batt. hissing venting I backed away. I had put this charger on a month and a half ago for trickle charge as a maintainer only. This should never have happened in this day that charger should have never been charging full tilt on a shorted batt. If my garage was not in my basement and I did not smell it overcharging what would have happened. In a detached garage fire I would think. Basement garage can be good and bad like everything. Oh yea I threw that charger in the trash only trickle chargers from now on for maintaining batt. nothing with high amps for storage.You know when you buy some of the most $ batteries and chargers Optima and it might burn your house down.

You have to be careful. Lead acid and AGM batteries do thermally run away and it’s not pretty...

Last edited:
If the charger voltage spiked high enough, it could damage the ECU and other electronics in your vehicle. Hope you disconnected the negative cable before hooking up the charger.

I haven't heard good things about Optima batteries. Lots of problems for the price. Hard to say in your case if the problem is the charger or the battery though.

Back