Thanksgiving ice cream

This seems a bit weird. The Portland, Oregon based Salt & Straw has a special holiday selection of different ice cream flavors. It's reminiscent of the Jones Soda holiday gift pack that included turkey and gravy.

Here are the selections:
  • Parker House Rolls w/ Salted Buttercream
  • Candied Walnut Cheesecake
  • Caramelized Turkey & Cranberry Sauce
  • Sweet Potato Pie w/ Double Baked Almond Streusel
  • Pumpkin & Gingersnap Pie (vegan)

And turkey and cranberry sauce:

Cone-TurkeyCranberry_540x.jpg

The description is odd.

Friendsgiving is the time to forego expectations and bring fresh twists to classic staples. Here, we roast turkey bacon from our friends at Diestel Farms to crispy perfection before tucking it into a savory, buttery brittle with thyme and freshly ground cubeb pepper. The bacon imparts a deliciously smoky, salty flavor that joins our housemade cranberry sauce—sweet and jammy, with a pleasant tartness to cut through the sides of savory.

I’ll stick with homemade vanilla and homemade pumpkin spice. Probably don’t need any but hey it’s thanksgiving!

Just my $0.02

I’ll stick with homemade vanilla and homemade pumpkin spice. Probably don’t need any but hey it’s thanksgiving!

Just my $0.02

My grandfather had an old style churn for making ice cream. Banana with some fresh banana pieces was my favorite. I'm not a sugar guy, I'm more beer/wine, cheesburger, ribeye guy. Ice cream does it though!! Scary how much sugar my grandfather used for homemade ice cream!!

Salt & Straw does some pretty interesting side projects.

The teamed up with Portland-based perfumer Imaginary Authors to do an ice cream shop-inspired fragrance called A Whiff of Wafflecone. It's a nice scent; I picked up a bottle for my wife. Probably better than turkey and cranberry sauce ice cream.

A WHIFF OF WAFFLECONE

I been to the original Salt & Straw in Portland’s Alberta district, it’s overrated IMO but they can do some interesting stuff. I miss Ici in Berkeley.

The Bay Area location in Burlingame had a Vietnamese dessert inspired ice cream that was good.

Back