TGMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to run an OCI or two with this oil to see how it does.
My summer OCI this year with PYB5w20 netted different results than the previous year. MPG was down a bit, 5-6% and the oil temps ran hotter on this batch (GTL base vs. petro base?).
It ran 10-15f hotter and that has my curiousity peaked on the high zoot 0w20's.

I ran PYB the last two years with one OCI of PU (hated it) but I fear they are changing things too much with all the new formulations. Can't anyone make a good product and leave it alone?

Interested to see how the TGMO will perform.

Going to do a UOA on the current PYB fill to see if anything looks amiss.

Sounds like a fuel or tune issue. You don't have an air leak after your MAF?

PBB high mileage 5w20 and 5w30 are good oils as well as PGB 5w30 dexos1.

The best 0w20 I've run is Valvoline synpower. That includes PU, PP, QSUD and M1.

You may have not enjoyed the aggressive detergency of the PU.

I lost some mileage this summer - but I believe that was from taking the bald OE tires off and replacing them with all seasons.

I never thought that the PYB could have caused it.

Like others have said, there is no way a formulation change in motor oil could possibly net a "5-6%" MPG decrease. Even less of a chance it is due to a feed stock change.

A while back I posted a link to an article about MPG testing and how notoriously difficult it is to test outside of a laboratory. They mentioned in the article that one huge issue was they were seeing a 4% energy fluctuation in gasoline purchased even at the same station. Honda and other manufacturers are eeking out fractional MPG gains with grade changes, it is impossible that an oil within the same grade could cause a 5-6% change.

You do realize that the oil you purchase, regardless of the feed stock or specific formulation, has to meet the same viscosity requirements, right?

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Going to run an OCI or two with this oil to see how it does.
My summer OCI this year with PYB5w20 netted different results than the previous year. MPG was down a bit, 5-6% and the oil temps ran hotter on this batch (GTL base vs. petro base?).
It ran 10-15f hotter and that has my curiousity peaked on the high zoot 0w20's.

I ran PYB the last two years with one OCI of PU (hated it) but I fear they are changing things too much with all the new formulations. Can't anyone make a good product and leave it alone?

Interested to see how the TGMO will perform.

Going to do a UOA on the current PYB fill to see if anything looks amiss.

Alignment is good, same tires, no brakes dragging, coolant temp runs the same as well as cat temps, and yes, I check tire pressures every Sat morning. Just the oil temp is up on this OCI and the mpg is down a little. I do have 2 winter OCI and two summer OCI with the PYB5w20 before this current run so I know what it has done before.

You guys can go through my old posts about MPG if you are curious but I won't re-state all the details I keep track of, it is in depth.

PYB has performed best on quietness of the engine, mpg and showed very well on the UOA's. This is why I 'was' happy with it.

Try QSGB 5w20...It was as good as PYB 10w30 in my testing.
QSGB 5w20 was better than PYB 5w20 in my testing a few months ago.
Great fuel economy and lower temperature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back