Texas exhaust shops???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, does anyone know of an exhaust shop somewhere down in Texas that can build me a custom Y pipe from the manifolds to the cat?

I'd like to start from scratch and bring my own high flow cat and my own muffler and have someone that does good quality work (you know, welds that won't leak!) rebuild my exhaust using 2.5 inch pipe, or at least 2.5 from the manifolds to the cat (I guess we could use 2.75 after the cat)

Problem I'm running in to with locals shops where I', at is... my truck has a pre-cat before the cat and I don't want that on there. Earlier model trucks like the one I have did not come with a pre-cat, so I don't see what the big deal is, since it's still going to meet emissions standards.

At any rate, they won't do it. So, if anyone knows of a good exhaust shop willing to do a job like this I'll pay their full retail pricing and if they do a very neat, good looking job... I'll throw in a nice cash tip!

If you know anybody, let me know and I'll take a road trip to go see 'em!

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
PM me if you're in the DFW area. I can recommend a couple of shops.

Dude, I was wanting him to say I have a Chevy with a 4.8 V8 I wanna mod.

OTOH, I am not sure if these shops would do anything that does not meet emission standards. They are locally owned, but you generally don't stay in business for forty plus years violating local laws.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
OTOH, I am not sure if these shops would do anything that does not meet emission standards. They are locally owned, but you generally don't stay in business for forty plus years violating local laws.

Well sounds like it will be legal, since he said he will have a cat and muffler.

But without a location, hard to give a recommendation. I mean Texas is only what, like 270,000 square miles?

As said above, look at Yelp, you can find some good services that way.

Last edited:
How do you know it will meet the standards without the precat? Toyota builds precats right into the manifolds and has O2 sensors to monitor the output.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
How do you know it will meet the standards without the precat? Toyota builds precats right into the manifolds and has O2 sensors to monitor the output.

True, but for state vehicle inspection, so long as there are no codes and he has a cat, he should technically be legal.

Texas state inspections says:
Quote:
operator of the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine shall not remove or intentionally make inoperable within the state of Texas the exhaust emission system or any part thereof, except where the purpose of removal of the exhaust emission system or part thereof is to install another exhaust emission system or part thereof, which is intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions from the vehicle or engine.

Do pre-cats being removed make any difference in emmisons? If not, then replacing the old system with a pre-cat, cat, muffler with a cat and muffler is legal.

OK, here's the scoop according to Walker... my vehicle is an early 2000s midsize GM pickup (not the full size flavor) and it has a 4.3L V6

Walker's catalog shows NO pre-cat, but I ordered their Y pipe (Walker 50525 Direct Fit Converter) which their catalog shows has NO pre-cat... but when it arrived it did, and the pipes coming out of the manifold look like 1.75in which is the stock size, so I sent that puppy back and got me a refund.

All I'd like to do is buy my own hi-flow cat and have someone use 2 inch pipe and build me a nice Y pipe (two 2 inch pipes going into a 2.5 inch pipe).

I used to do exhaust back in the day so it wouldn't take but a little practice welding and I'm back in bidness so if I have to I guess I'll have to get me a part time job and an exhaust shop just so I can get this built... and then quit (LoL, jus kiddin).

If I could get this built, I doubt very, very seriously anybody would give a rat's backside if there was no pre-cat. It's not going to pullute more without it. And, there's no way I'd narc on anybody who did the job for me if I did get caught by the exhuast police... I'd just play dumb, which is a game my wife says I'm really good at!

Please let me know if you guys hear of any exhaust shops to work with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back