Testing reserve capacity of a battery

A link to an article on a boating website talked about the fact that even the high quality Midtronics battery testers are not very accurate testing reserve capacity in AH. They are accurate for CCA. Which is what is important for cars. But for boats the reserve capacity is much more important. Is there any kind of meter that will do a good job? Or only a true reserve capacity test using a load and taking many hours?

Reserve capacity minutes is the minutes a newish healthy fully charged battery can maintain a steady 25 amp load before voltage falls to 10.5v which is considered 100% discharged.
Basically how long one might be able to expect to keep driving after charging system failure.

a 100 amp hour battery can provide 5 amps for 20 hours before voltage falls to 10.5v, but due to Peukert's law cannot provide 20 amps for 5 hours

Performing an accurate 20 hour capacity test requires a constant current load, of 1/20th the battery's 20 hour amp hour rating.

Many loads will decrease with battery voltage.
the test to be accurate needs to keep the battery at 77f. The pros use a water bath. and a load which remains precise as battery voltage drops.

Some, myseff included, knowing the difficulty of getting a true capacity remaining percentage, instead do a 10 hour test around the 20 hour load rate, and see what the battery voltage rebounds to. if it rebounds to teh 12.2v range I consider it still pretty healthy.

Even if this method is not going to nail down a number, it is comparable to the same test on the same battery at a later date or the same test on a new battery and can give a good indication of remaining battery capacity, and also give a good indication whether any hail mary charging/equalization attempts at capacity restoration charges were beneficial.

I'd enjoy the load tester above, but likely will not own it unless it will pay for itself.
Also I am considering a impedence tester just for quick resistance measurements and another piece of data to compare.
I consider my starter to be a load test every engine start, as I watch a voltmeter drop during engine cranking.

There's all sorts of ways to gauge battery capacity, but a standardized test so you can compare results to others, requires either one apply a steady 25 amp load fand watch a clock and a voltmeter, or apply 1/20th the amp hour rating, precisely, and hope it can do so for 20 hours before 10.5v is reached.

The standard load test is good, for a starter battery, but gauging the health of a battery that will see longer slower discharges is a bit more involved, as a battery which fails a CCA test, can still power ones overnight DC loads 'just fine' for another year or 3, or, NOT.

Apply load, watch voltage drop...recharge, repeat, compare.

Is this a theoretical question, or is there a specific application you need to test for? I didn't get a chance to install it before the camping season ended this year, but I've got a Victron shunt and monitor waiting to go into our travel trailer in the spring. I like the idea of measuring amp-hours in and out. I figure between that and checking the batteries with a hygrometer, I will be able to have a pretty good sense of real-world battery capacity, and how they are trending through their overall lifespan.

Amp hour counters are a great learning, and diagnostic tool, not only to see how much load one is presenting to the battery, but also what a charging source is supplying.

They are imperfect in determining actual percentage of charge left, but a million times better than voltage alone.

I usually go by by the amp hours from full screen rather than the % remaining, and only trust it if I have recently reset/zeroed mine when I know the battery to be truly full to the brim, and trust it less and less with accumulated cycles.

Watching them closely during charge and discharge, over the lifespan of a battery and multiple batteries, is enlightening

There are tons of considerations with properly setting up and using an amp hour counting battery monitor.

Which make it amusing when people equate voltage, taken whenever wherever, with an exact unerring percentage of charge across each and every 12 volt battery, as even a Shunted Victron, properly set up and programmed, is lucky to be 95% accurate

Those with interest in this topic should explore that guy's website for all related topics.

A link to an article on a boating website talked about the fact that even the high quality Midtronics battery testers are not very accurate testing reserve capacity in AH. They are accurate for CCA. Which is what is important for cars. But for boats the reserve capacity is much more important. Is there any kind of meter that will do a good job? Or only a true reserve capacity test using a load and taking many hours?
Reserve capacity is all that matters for BMWs. CCA is pretty much meaningless.

Back