Teslas are Crap (long, sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a chain of criticism of Teslas on “Bob”. They must be crap right. Let’s consider the issues.

• The fit and finish is terrible. It isn’t on my Model 3. It’s comparable to my Honda Accord which most people would consider middle of the pack or better. So maybe not.
  • Teslas are very expensive. When I wanted to replace my BMW, I concluded that BMW had lost its way. So I was looking at Mazda 6s and entry level and used Lexuses (or should that be Lexi). The Model 3 was cost comparable – a bit more than a Mazda 6 and less than an entry level Lexus. So if you’re looking at premium vehicles, maybe not.
  • The seats are uncomfortable. We drove for something like 8 – 10 hours a day on our long trip and didn’t find them uncomfortable. They’re not as good as our ’86 Volvo, but then what is? Similar to the BMW actually. So I don’t think so.
  • The ride is terrible. Not as good as the BMW, but similar to the Honda Accord. The handling is very good by the way.
  • You have to line up to use the (Tesla) Supercharger system. We’ve only used Superchargers about a dozen times, but we’ve never once had to wait. There was much merriment about line ups at Hope BC a couple of years ago. Last time we were there they had doubled the number of stations so maybe that’s old news.
  • EV charging stations are often out of order. Not in my experience. In the dozen or so stations we visited there was only one station at one Supercharger out of order. Maybe other brands of charging stations are often out of order, but not Superchargers.
  • Tesla batteries have an early death. Anecdotal reports are that Tesla batteries are lasting 200 – 250,000 miles. I keep my cars a long time but I’ve never hit 200,000 miles yet so it isn’t an issue for me. A handful do apparently fail early but that’s what the longish battery warranty is for.
  • You will spend hours at charging stations. We don’t. We charge at home except when we’re on a long trip and that takes essentially no time. In fact (other than on long trips) we spend less time charging up that we would filling up. On a long trip you do have to charge up every 2 to 3 hours but it’s for more like 10 – 15 minutes, not for hours.
  • Teslas depreciate. Yes they do. Almost every car depreciates. That’s why I keep my cars almost forever. When I’m done with them (after 18 - 20 years) they’re still in good condition and I typically get $2,000 - $3,000 for them. I hope to do that well (or better) with the Tesla.
  • I am really annoyed that the stereo channel we liked has disappeared and we can’t find it again. So Boo Tesla.
  • People don’t like Elon Musk. He’s a hard working genius, but he talks too much. I don’t care for him either. But what’s that got to do with whether Teslas are crap cars.
My crash helmet is on. Pick away.

I don't think Tesla's are crap, but I can't see myself in one because of:

1. Elon Musk
2. No switch gear, no gauge cluster in most models. I don't want to use voice commands and as much as I love a good touchscreen, some things like TURN SIGNALS require a physical control
3. Elon Musk
4. Build quality really is poor, there's no way around this one. It's not at Honda Accord quality (although based on my 2023 Acura Integra ownership experience this is hardly a goal to strive for)
5. Elon Musk

I do not have a need for an EV. I do not hate EVs, but at present they aren't my cup of tea. Even if/when I have extended driving needs (200mi/day), I probably will build my own highway cruiser or seek something out.

But... I do want Tesla to succeed. American EV company. I guess for myself the Tesla design language doesn't fit me. Maybe the design language I prefer is more "casual".

Make it less futurey/space, more casual, let people have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. CAN we get a column shifter and put some storage trays/good cup holders in the center. Oh yeah baby now we're talking. Truth be told I prefer column shifters. Why clutter the center console with a shifter when it isn't a manual trans, Lenco or Hurst...?

I don't think Tesla's are crap, but I can't see myself in one because of:

2. No switch gear, no gauge cluster in most models. I don't want to use voice commands and as much as I love a good touchscreen, some things like TURN SIGNALS require a physical control
I agree with the point. My Model 3 does have its turn signals on a lever. I expect Tesla will come to their senses and put the lever back on the new Model 3 at some point.

A European agency has warned that physical controls will be required for the top safety rating within a couple of years. We can only hope that Tesla will pay attention to that warning.

I'm not crazy about voice commands either. That's how I lost my favourite channel on the stereo. I pushed the right side steering wheel button to change the wiper speed and the car heard a phrase in a song (something about a gypsy) and changed the channel, initially to songs with gypsy in their name. And there is no back button. So boo Tesla.

I agree with the point. My Model 3 does have its turn signals on a lever. I expect Tesla will come to their senses and put the lever back on the new Model 3 at some point.

A European agency has warned that physical controls will be required for the top safety rating within a couple of years. We can only hope that Tesla will pay attention to that warning.

I'm not crazy about voice commands either. That's how I lost my favourite channel on the stereo. I pushed the right side steering wheel button to change the wiper speed and the car heard a phrase in a song (something about a gypsy) and changed the channel, initially to songs with gypsy in their name. And there is no back button. So boo Tesla.

So I can't listen to Fleetwood Mac in a Tesla? 🤣

CAN we get a column shifter and put some storage trays/good cup holders in the center. Oh yeah baby now we're talking. Truth be told I prefer column shifters. Why clutter the center console with a shifter when it isn't a manual trans, Lenco or Hurst...?
My Model 3 does have a column shifter. Controls forward, reverse, park and cruise.

So I can't listen to Fleetwood Mac in a Tesla? 🤣
You sure can. Push the right side steering wheel button and ask the stereo to play something by Fleetwood Mac. Could ask for specific songs, could ask for specific albums, or just Fleetwood Mac. It's pretty adaptable.

Our favourite channel was "Tesla Favourites" which had Fleetwood Mac in their mix. We're now using a pale version which is semi-acceptable called (something like) "My Parent's Record Collection".

Some models that is controlled in the screen.
Correct, but that's in the "new and improved" Model 3. There is an alternate control too (don't remember exactly where/how) in case the screen ever craps out.

The screen controls work just fine but they're fiddly. You quickly catch on to what is where so there's no hunting around required (typically 2 buttons in entirely predictable places will get you to any desired control). I tend to set things up before starting out and then use the voice controls while under way.

PS The Tesla Nav system is very good. We use it all the time.

There has been a chain of criticism of Teslas on “Bob”. They must be crap right. Let’s consider the issues.

• The fit and finish is terrible. It isn’t on my Model 3. It’s comparable to my Honda Accord which most people would consider middle of the pack or better. So maybe not.
  • Teslas are very expensive. When I wanted to replace my BMW, I concluded that BMW had lost its way. So I was looking at Mazda 6s and entry level and used Lexuses (or should that be Lexi). The Model 3 was cost comparable – a bit more than a Mazda 6 and less than an entry level Lexus. So if you’re looking at premium vehicles, maybe not.
  • The seats are uncomfortable. We drove for something like 8 – 10 hours a day on our long trip and didn’t find them uncomfortable. They’re not as good as our ’86 Volvo, but then what is? Similar to the BMW actually. So I don’t think so.
  • The ride is terrible. Not as good as the BMW, but similar to the Honda Accord. The handling is very good by the way.
  • You have to line up to use the (Tesla) Supercharger system. We’ve only used Superchargers about a dozen times, but we’ve never once had to wait. There was much merriment about line ups at Hope BC a couple of years ago. Last time we were there they had doubled the number of stations so maybe that’s old news.
  • EV charging stations are often out of order. Not in my experience. In the dozen or so stations we visited there was only one station at one Supercharger out of order. Maybe other brands of charging stations are often out of order, but not Superchargers.
  • Tesla batteries have an early death. Anecdotal reports are that Tesla batteries are lasting 200 – 250,000 miles. I keep my cars a long time but I’ve never hit 200,000 miles yet so it isn’t an issue for me. A handful do apparently fail early but that’s what the longish battery warranty is for.
  • You will spend hours at charging stations. We don’t. We charge at home except when we’re on a long trip and that takes essentially no time. In fact (other than on long trips) we spend less time charging up that we would filling up. On a long trip you do have to charge up every 2 to 3 hours but it’s for more like 10 – 15 minutes, not for hours.
  • Teslas depreciate. Yes they do. Almost every car depreciates. That’s why I keep my cars almost forever. When I’m done with them (after 18 - 20 years) they’re still in good condition and I typically get $2,000 - $3,000 for them. I hope to do that well (or better) with the Tesla.
  • I am really annoyed that the stereo channel we liked has disappeared and we can’t find it again. So Boo Tesla.
  • People don’t like Elon Musk. He’s a hard working genius, but he talks too much. I don’t care for him either. But what’s that got to do with whether Teslas are crap cars.
My crash helmet is on. Pick away.
I'll never support a company where the CEO Blatantly lies about the specs and performance and yet the Muskateers eat it up. Don't you think Tesla engineers knew long before the Cybertruck was released it wouldn't have any of the range, payload, or performance that the Muskrat spouted off. Musk rigged, and lied about the Porsche vs Cybertruck comparison. Jason Fenske from engineering explained made a whole video about this. Just about every vehicle Tesla has released has been late and a dollar short. The early model 3's had the battery cooler incorrectly installed, and had home depot dowels and tie downs to hold it down. Yet the Musketeers said this was progress. Musk is now claiming that employees will have to sleep at the factory when the model 2 ramps up. What a yutz. The Cybertruck is missing software on a vehicle that was FOUR YEARS late. Go buy a 1000 piece lego set but only get 500 pieces. Lego will eventually send you the rest. You'd be really irate I'm sure. Musk doesn't think anything through. The roadster if it gets delivered has the stupidest specs ever. Air thrusters? Really that's what a 6 year old would say. A 1500 psi tank won't even be legal. The Model S plaid only went 0-60 1.99 seconds when Tesla A) had a brand new paved road laid down B) had wider wheels and BARELY legal DOT semi slicks installed that aren't factory issue C) Gallons upon Gallons of Trackbite laid down. So much that road and track and Car and driver journalists were sticking to the pavement. Only then did it manage the 1.99 second 0-60 this is essentially fraud as it can't be done from the dealership as is. Many model 3 and y owners aren't getting anywhere near the stated charging range and it's been reported alot that Tesla service center employees were told by Musk to cancel their appointments as it was their fault not Teslas. It's well known that the video on Teslas website that Musk claims that the Model X drove completely on its own without any input was a lie. Twelve engineers came forward and have repeatedly stated that the vehicle had hardware and software not offered on a Tesla. Two the same engineers said that that Model X crashed and a second vehicle had to be brought in. That is fraud. If any other company acted like this they'd be in jail or seeing huge fines..... Dieselgate anyone? It disgusts me that such a terrible company has such a large fanbase. Oh yeah another poster posted the Green car report on a another post and Tesla wasn't on there. Oh go check out jalopniks article about the 10 ways the Cybertruck is a complete screwup. Anything else?

I disagree with every single point in the OP except the title.

Objectively, EV prices are way too high, range is crap and recharge time is crap. There's no denying those 3 facts. The rest is noise. Any of my three 20+ year old cars beat any new/used Tesla on cost, range and recharge/refill time. By a lot. In spite of all this, I admire Musk's genius, creativity and business sense.

EVs are rich people’s toys and will remain that way until there is a Ford Model T style revolution. Elon isnt it, the technology isn’t good enough either.
I respectfully disagree. Not everyone driving one is rich, there are some people driving them that think they're rich. There's a big difference. Oh and there are people driving them thinking they're saving the world. Flame suit on. FTR some decent people drive them too, I guess, j/k on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back