Tesla to build new plant in Mexico.

Why not here in the good old USA? Yes, I did not read the article. LOL
A few things...
Giga Austin is ramping; production is roughly half capacity. The other US factories are expanding as well. It is not like Musk is abondoning the US.
To an extent, factories are built near their intended market. Tesla does not have a proper Latin America vehicle and Latin America is a new market. It needs to be far less expensive for volume sales. Hence the mfg efficiency and low cost to build.
Monterrey is a relatively affluent area and there is a lot of auto supply mfg there now. It is one of the more educated areas to source engineering and management.
Monterrey is close to TX which is Tesla Mfg HQ. I also see Monterrey as a hedge against potential China issues.

My question is, how long will it take to build the factory? Shanghai was operational in 9 months, but that is unlikely. Closer to 18 months is a better guess.

I think the guy is absolute fraud, but I will give him a pass here. Labor issues are ridiculous. Toyota has huge issues in TX with labor. Tesla moved back bunch of high paying jobs to CA from TX due to labor problems.
It is not as simple as people think. A lot of manufacturing is actually coming back. Problem is supply. Apple had to slow down TX plant for two years bcs. no one could supply those small screws at the back of laptops. The return of manufacturing is surfacing other problems and many are absolutely unnecessary.

Yes, which begs the question. Why not in the USA?

Answer = The Musk thing is a facade and fading. Even after the latest conference he held yesterday. He sounds so ... ummmm ... visionary. 10 Trillion Dollars of taxpayer income to invest and get the country better electrified. Sounds great since that is his business model! But the poor people have to take a step backwards in their standard of living to fulfill his dream. No thanks.

Its about money and profits, which is fine, I am a big fan of profits for companies but to think of him and some do, as some kind of savor of the planet, well, its just business and profits, nothing more. All good as long as people know that.
Musk is an employee of Tesla, as CEO he has to turn profits or the board will replace him.
Tv watchers are really easy to fool.

They’ll be fine. A large portion of the parts in the cars come from Mexico (or China) already, just like many other manufacturers.

Last edited:
And? He just moved most of R&D from TX back to CA.
Tesla never left Palo Alto. It has always been the engineering center. Tesla HQ is in Austin but is calling Palo Alto its Engineering HQ. They just opened 700 engineer and programmer positions. The global engineering announcement is not likely to have a big impact on Tesla's Central Texas operations.

Tesla is expanding as it is in a rapid growth stage.
Companies come here for the talent but have to absorb the cost.

Tesla never left Palo Alto. It has always been the engineering center. Tesla HQ is in Austin but is calling Palo Alto its Engineering HQ. They just opened 700 engineer and programmer positions. The global engineering announcement is not likely to have a big impact on Tesla's Central Texas operations.

Texas can’t support operation like that. Attracting such number of talent is now big issue there. Elon actually doesn’t have a choice. CA, where there is already huge operation, CO, DC area, New England, Seattle.

Isn’t there still close to 50k Tesla employees there …? Almost 130k worldwide …
And Tesla will use space left by HP when they moved to Houston by XOM’s 400 acre campus …

Tesla has endless projects

Last edited:
One thing that I read is that Monterrey Mexico is very short on water. I wonder how Elon is going to manage that? Recycling was mentioned in the article.

Isn’t there still close to 50k Tesla employees there …? Almost 130k worldwide …
And Tesla will use space left by HP when they moved to Houston by XOM’s 400 acre campus …

Tesla has endless projects

I believe Tesla has about direct 47,000 employees in CA. Direct + indirect is at least double that.
Tesla has invested more then $10B in CA. Why?
CA leads the world in tech business with 56% of the United States’ private companies valued at more than $1 billion. Silicon Valley was ranked as the world’s No. 1 startup ecosystem.
CA has the best higher education system in the world. According to the US News & World Report, six of the nation’s Top Ten public universities are in California and all UCs are among the best in the nation. CalState is the largest university system in the world, and four of the top five public universities are in California. More engineers, more scientists, more researchers, more Nobel laureates than anywhere else in the nation.
Must be the sunshine?

Tesla contributes about $17B annually to CA GSP (Gross State Product). $45M injected into our economy every day. And growing.
CA is the 4th largest economy in the world; we just beat out Germany in 2022. Tesla is an important contributor to our state and nation.

I believe Tesla has about direct 47,000 employees in CA. Direct + indirect is at least double that.
Tesla has invested more then $10B in CA. Why?
CA leads the world in tech business with 56% of the United States’ private companies valued at more than $1 billion. Silicon Valley was ranked as the world’s No. 1 startup ecosystem.
CA has the best higher education system in the world. According to the US News & World Report, six of the nation’s Top Ten public universities are in California and all UCs are among the best in the nation. CalState is the largest university system in the world, and four of the top five public universities are in California. More engineers, more scientists, more researchers, more Nobel laureates than anywhere else in the nation.
Must be the sunshine?

Tesla contributes about $17B annually to CA GSP (Gross State Product). $45M injected into our economy every day. And growing.
CA is the 4th largest economy in the world; we just beat out Germany in 2022. Tesla is an important contributor to our state and nation.

CA should get plenty Christmas cards from China …

I'd guess this plant is specifically being built for the model 2 (or whatever the recently announced model is).

With enormous pressure on pushing the price down cheaper labor makes a big deal and with no letup in sight from those trying to unionize existing plants its seems a cost control measure first and foremost.

Peter Zeihan remarked that at this stage if he had to chose between China and Mexico he'd pick Mexico.

Still this represents a tremendous loss for the states proper.

TSLA was down over 10% earlier, so I bought another 100 shares. Yay!
Kinda funny how the market punishes a company with the incredible results like Tesla's. Incredible growth.
The current Price Target for Tesla is around $246. And that is from financial analysts with a track record of accuracy and who know how to value Tesla as opposed to those who attempt to use conventional metrics and who think Tesla should be evaluated in conventional ways.

So give it a few weeks.Yesterday's drop was just another in a long history of ups and downs and mainly a knee jerk reaction that Elon didn't announce the highly anticipated economy version (Model 2 ?)

What will be interesting to see, and I have mentioned this scenario before, will be if Elon decides to crush the so called competition by slashing prices. Tesla is the only company that can afford to do that and still stay in business. He may be seen as a modern day robber baron by those who despise him and you can be sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the other automakers when they will be forced to slash their already slim margins to compete.

I suspect that the Q1 2023 numbers when released in a few weeks will once again be record setting. And the Tesla haters will complain that the numbers are below their estimates. This is the financial world of EV's today.

I'd guess this plant is specifically being built for the model 2 (or whatever the recently announced model is).

With enormous pressure on pushing the price down cheaper labor makes a big deal and with no letup in sight from those trying to unionize existing plants its seems a cost control measure first and foremost.

Peter Zeihan remarked that at this stage if he had to chose between China and Mexico he'd pick Mexico.

Still this represents a tremendous loss for the states proper.
It is thought that this is Tesla's entry into the Latin America market, as they do not sell there. It will take a low cost low price vehicle to generate demand in that part of the world.
Fremont is expanding and changing over for the Highland; Austin continues to ramp. Still watching for the elusive Cybertruk... Then they have to build out the SEMI mfg line.

It is thought that this is Tesla's entry into the Latin America market, as they do not sell there. It will take a low cost low price vehicle to generate demand in that part of the world.
Fremont is expanding and changing over for the Highland; Austin continues to ramp. Still watching for the elusive Cybertruk... Then they have to build out the SEMI mfg line.

Makes sense.

I have a high degree of confidence these cars will end their way back into the states qualifying for the " North American" subsidies.

Cyber is just sad at this stage with multiple manufacturers beating tesla to the market which should have never happened.

(Tesla should have never existed as GM should have continued after the EV1 - but that boat sailed long ago)

Im pretty much the target market for Cyber and Im struggling to see how its as usable as a regular pickup - I believe a non truck lifestyle guy thought he could rewrite the book on how a truck should look and that it wont turn out super well outside of a minority few - but who knows it could kill.

The current Price Target for Tesla is around $246. And that is from financial analysts with a track record of accuracy and who know how to value Tesla as opposed to those who attempt to use conventional metrics and who think Tesla should be evaluated in conventional ways.

So give it a few weeks.Yesterday's drop was just another in a long history of ups and downs and mainly a knee jerk reaction that Elon didn't announce the highly anticipated economy version (Model 2 ?)
Let's be fair though when talking about time.
Tesla is down 28% over the last 12 months and 50% from its high roughly 2 years ago.
So we can say the stock still has to go up 100% from current level to match its performance in 2021 or 50% to match 1 year ago.
A history of ups and downs is true and it's never made it back to its ups (peak in 2021) yet.

Back