Tesla gas can...

Can't be any more complicated to over-ride than Auto Pilot. 😄
Think so? Autopilot only requires a torque on the steering wheel to be convinced a hand is on the steering wheel. Commonly achieved by hanging a beanbag.

To charge the battery the BCU software has to be in charge mode. You think you are smart enough to make the BCU charge from external source at the same time it provides up to 400kW to the motor controller? To make it do two things at once when it was not designed to? Your talents are being wasted.

That's just not so with modern, catalyst equipped small engines. In fact, all non-road engines (that includes all sorts of industrial sources) only account for 2% of CO2 and 17% of VOC's. VOC's being unburned hydrocarbons. More interestingly, the fitting of catalysts reduces the VOC's by a factor of 3 to 10. Furthermore, quite a bit of the VOC's come from the fuel tank and fueling procedures.
I think people talk about caring but they don't.

Think so? Autopilot only requires a torque on the steering wheel to be convinced a hand is on the steering wheel. Commonly achieved by hanging a beanbag.

To charge the battery the BCU software has to be in charge mode. You think you are smart enough to make the BCU charge from external source at the same time it provides up to 400kW to the motor controller? To make it do two things at once when it was not designed to? Your talents are being wasted. My comment was sarcasm/joking angway, lol.
People reprogram ECUs and BCMs, etc on ICE cars all the time. Doubt EV elecronic boxes can't be cracked too if someone really wanted to change how they control something.

GM auto pilot is secure according to consumer reports.

About solar panels, ok you get them. If you start using a lot of electricity like have a couple ev’s, aren’t you still paying for the electricity? You get less money back from the utility than if you didn’t have the ev’s. That is still money. You are still paying the full rate to charge the cars as before by getting less money back.

Fake. The guy would've busted out a folding mini windmill and would blow into it to help charge.

About solar panels, ok you get them. If you start using a lot of electricity like have a couple ev’s, aren’t you still paying for the electricity? You get less money back from the utility than if you didn’t have the ev’s. That is still money. You are still paying the full rate to charge the cars as before by getting less money back.
That's not how it works, at least in Silicon Valley. My solar panels send electricity to the PGE grid. I use electricity for lights, washer, AC, Tesla, whatever. I pay about $9 per month to use the grid. Once a year I "true up". If I have used more than I generated, I owe PGE. If I use less than I generate, I get nothing. Last year I used more than usual, because of the pandemic and being home. I did owe like $130 or something. If you undersize your panels, you could owe a bundle. CA has some of the highest energy costs in the nation, which is one reason solar is so popular. I love my panels.

GM auto pilot is secure according to consumer reports.

What you are describing is called "net metering" and is very common in places that (thankfully) didn't invest in FIT's and other overly-generous tariff systems, pushing the burden of cost for solar onto other ratepayers.

In what you are describing yes, if Jim Bob consumed 730kWh in March and pushed 630kWh back out through his meter, he'd owe on the difference (plus delivery and all the other charges associated with transmission, regulation...etc) so he'd be paying for only 100kWh. On the other hand, if he only consumed 530kWh and pushed 630kWh back to the grid, he'd get a credit on his account if that amount exceeded the costs he'd still owe for delivery, regulatory...etc.

In places with tiered rates (more after you exceed a certain # of kWh) these arrangements can prevent you from being bumped into the more expensive tier.

In places with TOU, where the daytime is usually the highest priced tier, depending on the structure of the agreement, if you are paid at the TOU rates, and then consuming during off-peak periods, you are much further ahead, because your exported kWh are compensated at a much higher rate than the kWh's you consume.

Now, that all being said, certain parts of Australia are already experiencing the result of too much solar penetration where rooftop feed-in overwhelms the transmission system and may exceed demand on the lower demand days, so they've started to cut people off when this happens, so they of course don't get paid. We'll see more of that going forward if solar installed capacity is allowed to grow unchecked, as not only will there be excess generation but also grid stability issues.

I think that if solar continues to grow cheaper, we'll see even a pull away from net metering. Folks will have to pay to connect to the grid, have an agreement with the operator as to their ability to shut-off the feed if the power isn't needed and perhaps they'll get market (wholesale) rate rather than retail. Will it make it less attractive? Yes, but that's also more fair. Large generating plants don't get paid retail rates, despite having spent massively more than Average Joe and his roof full of panels, and they are expected to participate in the market and by market rules.

If I had a river running by my property, I couldn't just dam it, put in a turbine and start running my meter backwards. My utility would have a conniption and they'd cut me off. What makes solar different? Green advocacy, subsidies, feed-in tariffs and government action forcing the hand of grid operators to accept it. Once that starts causing issues, as I said, I think we'll see a change.

To charge the battery the BCU software has to be in charge mode. You think you are smart enough to make the BCU charge from external source at the same time it provides up to 400kW to the motor controller? To make it do two things at once when it was not designed to? Your talents are being wasted.
Hybrid powertrain actually does that all the time, generating electricity while charging and powering the wheel at the same time. Of course that has to be done when designing it but if they have it since 2001 it is not "hard".

A module that "tee" into the battery input and intercept the control interfacing the battery and the rest of the car, manipulate the current / split of current is very doable, but of course you have to get the math right like everything else in power distribution.

Last edited:
What you are describing is called "net metering" and is very common in places that (thankfully) didn't invest in FIT's and other overly-generous tariff systems, pushing the burden of cost for solar onto other ratepayers.

In what you are describing yes, if Jim Bob consumed 730kWh in March and pushed 630kWh back out through his meter, he'd owe on the difference (plus delivery and all the other charges associated with transmission, regulation...etc) so he'd be paying for only 100kWh. On the other hand, if he only consumed 530kWh and pushed 630kWh back to the grid, he'd get a credit on his account if that amount exceeded the costs he'd still owe for delivery, regulatory...etc.

In places with tiered rates (more after you exceed a certain # of kWh) these arrangements can prevent you from being bumped into the more expensive tier.

In places with TOU, where the daytime is usually the highest priced tier, depending on the structure of the agreement, if you are paid at the TOU rates, and then consuming during off-peak periods, you are much further ahead, because your exported kWh are compensated at a much higher rate than the kWh's you consume.

Now, that all being said, certain parts of Australia are already experiencing the result of too much solar penetration where rooftop feed-in overwhelms the transmission system and may exceed demand on the lower demand days, so they've started to cut people off when this happens, so they of course don't get paid. We'll see more of that going forward if solar installed capacity is allowed to grow unchecked, as not only will there be excess generation but also grid stability issues.

I think that if solar continues to grow cheaper, we'll see even a pull away from net metering. Folks will have to pay to connect to the grid, have an agreement with the operator as to their ability to shut-off the feed if the power isn't needed and perhaps they'll get market (wholesale) rate rather than retail. Will it make it less attractive? Yes, but that's also more fair. Large generating plants don't get paid retail rates, despite having spent massively more than Average Joe and his roof full of panels, and they are expected to participate in the market and by market rules.

If I had a river running by my property, I couldn't just dam it, put in a turbine and start running my meter backwards. My utility would have a conniption and they'd cut me off. What makes solar different? Green advocacy, subsidies, feed-in tariffs and government action forcing the hand of grid operators to accept it. Once that starts causing issues, as I said, I think we'll see a change.
The location set the rule. I think in Hawaii they already stopped letting people install solar and net meter the grid due to duck curve unless you also install batteries. I can see that back when they designed the net metering policy they do not have the massive solar penetration they have today, and the peak starts at 1pm and ends at 7pm. As of today the peak starts at 4pm and ends at 9pm, and from what I heard the super peak is 5pm to 8pm. If you line up the solar feed in (mainly utility scale not roof top) that really matches the duck curve.

Another thing people probably didn't foresee back then was the mass migration from tier rates to TOU. I think they started automatically switching people over but they let you change if you insist (I move back to tier rate as it is the cheapest for me and lowest risk, I know how much I use but I cannot control when my wife turns on the AC or dryer, she doesn't care).

I have seen some PG&E policy that you can sign up as a generator if you have some exotic efficiency improvement, like geothermal or ice based thermal AC storage, and you can get certain tax credits due to some fuzzy funny math (shifting loads).

That's not how it works, at least in Silicon Valley. My solar panels send electricity to the PGE grid. I use electricity for lights, washer, AC, Tesla, whatever. I pay about $9 per month to use the grid. Once a year I "true up". If I have used more than I generated, I owe PGE. If I use less than I generate, I get nothing. Last year I used more than usual, because of the pandemic and being home. I did owe like $130 or something. If you undersize your panels, you could owe a bundle. CA has some of the highest energy costs in the nation, which is one reason solar is so popular. I love my panels.
Good info, I thought I read about how people get money back. PGE has a win win for themselves there. So if you could cut back just a tad on the ac or something you would be at zero. But to be fair if you get a second ev you will be paying the full rate or get more panels.

The location set the rule. I think in Hawaii they already stopped letting people install solar and net meter the grid due to duck curve unless you also install batteries. I can see that back when they designed the net metering policy they do not have the massive solar penetration they have today, and the peak starts at 1pm and ends at 7pm. As of today the peak starts at 4pm and ends at 9pm, and from what I heard the super peak is 5pm to 8pm. If you line up the solar feed in (mainly utility scale not roof top) that really matches the duck curve.

Another thing people probably didn't foresee back then was the mass migration from tier rates to TOU. I think they started automatically switching people over but they let you change if you insist (I move back to tier rate as it is the cheapest for me and lowest risk, I know how much I use but I cannot control when my wife turns on the AC or dryer, she doesn't care).

I have seen some PG&E policy that you can sign up as a generator if you have some exotic efficiency improvement, like geothermal or ice based thermal AC storage, and you can get certain tax credits due to some fuzzy funny math (shifting loads).

Yes, here in Ontario we are now able to sign up for fixed rates, which I believe I mentioned in another thread. Post-COVID I'll be signing up, which is $0.123/kWh regardless of time of day or amount of use.

Back