Tesla fire closes down highway for 3 hours.

A fire blanket can't smother a lithium fire. It has its own oxygen to keep the burn going.

Is there really any doubt in your mind?
My only doubt is how overblown this whole situation is. Sure it's a harder fire to fight, but every single one makes it to national news. In the summer in Las Vegas there would be a car fire or two occasionally that would make the traffic report or local news when I road had to be temporarily closed. It's a combination of severity and slinging excrement at the EV market. Sensationalism at its best. Is it national news when a normal car burns a house or a garage down? Probably not unless it was part of a known recall. Heck I haven't really seen many of those with EVs either.

I'm not saying EV fires aren't a problem, but it's a violently skewed part of the news cycle. The ones I find funny are the arson ones that end up making national news and then when it's realized it was wrong a quick "whoops" is released on a smaller scale.

Cybertruck rust was not rust. The runaway S with the driver in the back seat was a big fat nothing. It goes on and on.

Stuff happens with cars. Tesla sells news and grabs attention.

Cybertruck rust was not rust. The runaway S with the driver in the back seat was a big fat nothing. It goes on and on.

Stuff happens with cars. Tesla sells news and grabs attention.
Exactly and as @Torrid posted.
With that said, it is all fair game in the sense. This is the way media and social media operates in today’s world.

Critical thinking out the window, people tune in day and night 24 hours a day on their smart phones and want to be entertained but the problem is they can no longer think critically. It doesn’t matter to the news media whatever is going to create attention and clicks it all that matters.

So if you think about it, electric vehicles, got the same media attention like they were going to take over the United States of America by the year 2035, and now we can see that was all a pipe dream but it didn’t matter at the time that’s what created conversation, media clicks and advertising revenue.

So it is fair game now that every time one of these electric vehicles that garnered so much attention starts on fire, it is going to be reported, and blown up for more clicks and advertising revenue.

At the same time there is some validity in what I posted. Will it be become an issue once 70,000,000 to 200,000,000 electric vehicles are on the roads?
I only say 200 million because that’s what the media let us to believe just two short years ago. But if you see in my posts, I’m trying to stay conservative at 25% of the vehicles roughly 70,000,000.

I wonder at that market penetration could these vehicles actually be grouped together and used by a terrorist organization?
I think it sounds kind of scary, but I don’t know, we do know gasoline fires are easy to put out.
Gosh, what happens when these vehicles are so common place that 12 of them can be placed under some major infrastructure someplace, with lithium batteries that are almost impossible to put out how will it be controlled?
I mean, these are questions that we should be answering instead of ignoring.
As a nation, we seem to be late to the party all the time.

On another subject when I talk about media, attention and lack of critical, thinking, just go over to other topics and read my posts on the latest real estate news on how the real estate industry is going to be crushed.
Creates great, clicks and advertising revenue, but nothing will change yet. It still makes a great story and conversation topic.

The problem is gone is the daily newspaper, and we are now in the Internet age for news, and it’s a massive competition among news agencies to generate revenue for their shareholders. As of people we are hungry for every little tidbit of news we can get to make us feel better about ourselves, we are addicted

Last edited:
How many of us BITOG folks feel comfortable with an EV in the garage attached to their house?
Probably start with those of us who actually have bought them. I do not have an attached garage, but it is 10 feet away. It wouldn't have stopped me from buying it if it was attached.

How many of us BITOG folks feel comfortable with an EV in the garage attached to their house?
Our Model 3 has been parked and charging in the garage since Dec 2018.

Ready. Set. Boom!
1710955022979.jpg

I often wonder, didn't the engineers designing the EVs and their batteries take into consideration the problems with putting out fires? Yes ICE cars burn too, but not with the intensity, pollution, or the higher risk to the people that have to put out the fires. Flame suit on, pun/no pun intended.

I never had to test that theory with the e-tron when I owned it, since my garage (century home) is really a carriage house. However, there was a level of comfort with it in the driveway with that gap from the residence. I'm not sure if I would have been comfortable with it in the garage, though the Audi's don't seem to have many cases of fires, so I might have allowed it.

.w
I would hazard a guess that falls into a "not our problem" category.

Off topic, but larger problem is the draw on the now overtaxed local grid. Blown transformers and sub stations used to be a rarity. Now daily/ weekly occurrences. Especially on the final evening of major holiday weekends.

I often wonder, didn't the engineers designing the EVs and their batteries take into consideration the problems with putting out fires? Yes ICE cars burn too, but not with the intensity, pollution, or the higher risk to the people that have to put out the fires. Flame suit on, pun/no pun intended.
I would think so. Who knows what their limitations were especially given how uncommon it actually is, though the news would have you thinking an EV fire happens every 2 minutes.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

These things are getting a LOT of attention regarding fires lately. When they burn, they burn ferociously, and for a long time. And as was mentioned, they are extremely difficult to put out. And the car is obviously totalled after the fact.

Not to mention the house, if it happens in a residential garage. This is going to cause insurance premiums to skyrocket on these things, along with ICE vehicles as well. Insurance premiums for both auto and home coverage have already gone up as much as 20% in many areas of the country.

Add in these fireworks, and they're going to go up even more. Look at what has happened to homeowners insurance in the state of Florida. In many parts of the state people are selling and moving because they can no longer afford it.

Others are avoiding Florida all together, and moving elsewhere. Florida was once considered to be a reasonable cost retirement mecca. No more. Housing and insurance costs are in the stratosphere. And there is no end in sight.

All of these EV blazes are going to add to it even more. Today owning a EV and living in Florida is most definitely an expensive proposition.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/car-insurance-rates-inflation-costs/

I said long ago, the goal is to drive price increases on all of this stuff so high that nobody will be able to afford their cars, or driving them, or home insurance… they want us to own nothing, be reliant on public transportation where and when they allow you to go, and live crammed in tiny little apartments that are steaming piles of garbage with zero privacy. And they want you to thank them for how generously they treat you! It’s 1984, just 40 years late.

It’s a real issue though - thermal runaway is something that lithium battery manufacturers have not fully sorted out.
Yes, and they're sticking them in cars and letting the firemen figure out how to extinguish them. I would have hoped the design teams and engineers were smarter than that. But as with many businesses the dollar comes first, and the problems with the products may or may not get addressed.

I said long ago, the goal is to drive price increases on all of this stuff so high that nobody will be able to afford their cars, or driving them, or home insurance… they want us to own nothing, be reliant on public transportation where and when they allow you to go, and live crammed in tiny little apartments that are steaming piles of garbage with zero privacy. And they want you to thank them for how generously they treat you! It’s 1984, just 40 years late.
Get out much?

1711080644207.jpg

Nothing to see here.

Back