Tenet Health confirms 'cybersecurity incident' that impacted hospitals

My niece was saying they had to use Walkie-Talkies at the hospital from their disaster preparedness equipment inventory to communicate when the phone system went down.

My niece was saying they had to use Walkie-Talkies at the hospital from their disaster preparedness equipment inventory to communicate when the phone system went down.
Sounds like main network gear got compromised then, as typically the phone system is on its own VLAN and runs completely different software.

That stuff should be on it's own management network, which should be inaccessible from the outside and any user workstations.
*should be* indeed. I've inherited networks with managed gear that the guy setting it up didn't even know it was managed. Default username and password in place.

There do seem to be a lot of incompetents working in IT, and cleaning up after their messes gets old after a while.
Yep. I've been waiting for hospital IT to setup a VLAN for our remote workspace so that we can use our firewall and separate internet connection I've had installed for 10 months. I think the issue is that the guy that knew how to do that quit several months ago, I haven't heard a peep back from them since my surgery, despite numerous pokes via e-mail.

My employer also periodically sends out phishing 'test' emails, employees who repeatedly fail and fall for the 'tests' are initially disciplined and ultimately terminated if the problem persists.

Our time keeper software got hijacked. It was hosted offsite... 10k+ employees and it was a mess. Took them 2 months to get back online. There's still a bunch of back and worth with ones being overpaid and underpaid. My coworker they said they overpaid but I didn't get anything, I'm pretty sure I was overpaid but oh well! And then we're looking a new software and wanted us to host offsite and had the gull to ask why we're not.. we flat out told them why.

Back