Temp vs. Viscosity charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have any "typical" temp vs. vis charts for the different grades of oil?

I'd really like to see some for each of dino, group III, and real syn oils.

I think it would be different based on different engines out there though. One engine might work well running 15w40 oil in 0F weather while another will not, for example.

Patman,

I'm talking about the oil's viscosity at different temps, not the engine's temps. Sure, the 40C and 100C visc is given on spec sheets, but I'd like to see what they are at say 0C, 10C, 20C, etc.

Each manufacturer of engines has it's guidelines, but they don't vary by group or spec. They vary by engine and year. Your local oil store should have a copy of the latest booklet produced by "check-chart" but normally the cover will have an oil brand on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:
Patman,

I'm talking about the oil's viscosity at different temps, not the engine's temps. Sure, the 40C and 100C visc is given on spec sheets, but I'd like to see what they are at say 0C, 10C, 20C, etc.

Now I understand. It would be interesting to see different oil's specs at all those different temps. It would give us all a better idea of how the oil will operate in our own individual climates.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
[QBNow I understand. It would be interesting to see different oil's specs at all those different temps. It would give us all a better idea of how the oil will operate in our own individual climates.[/QB]

Exactly. Personally, I don't care about anything below 0C as it very rarely gets that cold here and my cars are garaged both at home and at work.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Why does the Supersyn data sheet show only viscosity @40C and not at 100C

Is it because it is stable?

It has both. The web site is dead right now, but the xw30 @ 100C oils are around 10.0 +/- .3 if my memory serves.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:

quote:

Why does the Supersyn data sheet show only viscosity @40C and not at 100C

Is it because it is stable?

It has both. The web site is dead right now, but the xw30 @ 100C oils are around 10.0 +/- .3 if my memory serves.

From what I recall the SuperSyn 10w30 has a cst of 9.8 at 100c, 5w30 is 9.7. The TriSynthetic was at 10.0 for both.

My Cameron Hydraulic Data book has that info.

It's published by Ingersoll-Dresser Pumps and can be bought for $25.

I don't have a scanner so I post the chart.

quote:

Patman and others

What is the low end and the high end numbers for a 30 wt?

9.3 to less than 12.5 cSt
smile.gif

SAE 30 crankcase oil should have 15,000 centistokes at 0 degrees F and about 12.5 centistokes at 210 degrees F.

On a log/semi log scale it's a straight line.

Mobil 1 has the charts you are interested in. As satterfi mentioned, viscosity varies exponentially with temp so the charts are log charts that show kinematic viscosity vs deg C of the oil as a straight line. Oil makers give two temp points as a reference (40degC and 100degC) so you can plot these two points on the charts and just draw a straight line to see how oil varies with temp from -40degC to 230degC. Ask them to email you VTA018A.pdf and VTA019A.pdf. Mobil 1's oils are already plotted on the charts but you can plot any other oil you like.

I requested the temp/viscosity charts from Mobil some months ago. As they usually do, they responded quickly and sent me one chart for Mobil 1 and another for Mobil coventional oil. 0-40 was not on it at that time. As its popularity grows I suppose they will include it. It was easy to use their data and plot it myself.
If anyone wants me to email them - just post your address or PM me and I will send them to you.
I went through a discussion on this at Contour.org - to get a good feel for the viscosity change these charts are worth 1k words.

Mark,

Sent you a PM for the charts. Thanks for the offer. I don't think Mobil 1 wants us to see how good the 0w40 is. Are they afraid to make it popular? The EPA might get irritated. I can't get the 0w40 at Walmart and don't want to pay $5 a quart at Autozone. We should all write Wally World and plead for the 0w40.

[email protected]

JJ

Mark,Thanks for the charts!

jjbula,
I called the 1800 # for walmart and gave them the store number I shop at. They ask for your nam and log it so I had my Son,Daughter Wife,Mother and a few of my friends call as well because they probably won't stock it for one person.

Also,had previously called them to ask when the new Havoline Group III Synthetic would be stocked. They called me a week later and said it had been discontinued! He He! Too late now,have went another direction,actually two directions.Stayed with one so three directions total in oils,,man, better close now huh?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back