TDI storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 VW Golf TDI, 83K miles, that I typically use to commute to work and run errands etc, usually 40 miles a day so it gets up to temp during my driving. My office has converted to work from home with the current world issues, kids school cancelled etc so I won't be driving it for probably 30 days or so.

I do treat the fuel with Power Service Winter. Do I need to do anything else to protect the fuel system during layup? Being a Diesel with a DPF etc, it really doesn't like to idle when not up to temp. I did that during a few cold days last week when I hadn't driven it all week and next time I drove it up to the store, it smelled like diesel and smoked a bit until fully warm.

Last edited:
Just fill the tank ALL the way to the top and top if office after waiting a while for foam to settle
Hook up a batter charger to the vehicle once a month and charge fully.

Do not NOT need any addy, unless you are expecting -15F anytime soon.

I rotate between two cars, sometimes they sit for two weeks in below zero temps and I've never had a problem. I always make sure to drive them regularly and fix things before they become a bigger issue.

Even if you were to park it for a month without a battery tender, you'll unlikely have to do much other than add air to the tires.

I've had my 06 TDI parked for 6 weeks in storage and it started right up this weekend. Have an older Mercedes diesel I put away before your car was even built. Put a good battery on it last year and started within 10 seconds. Lot of recent threads here about putting a car away. With modern fuel injected engines, batteries and tires are your only mechanical concerns during storage. Rodent, sun or mold damage is a more significant concern. Another car I have indoors in a garage with moisture issues. The interior looks like a petri dish of mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back