TCW3 in lawnmower maintenance dose

Considering my Honda 160 is 14 years old and haven’t taken the carb a part. It’s always ran well till this past summer. I only use 93 octane and a stabilizer for three months then I get fresh gas.

It’s starting to sputter after I start it and after a while it gets going it runs ok.

Is it worth a shot to run TCw3 in the gas to clean the carb out?

I mix a 4oz bottle or however much it is of STP fuel injector cleaner in with 2 gallons of gas. Don't know if that concentration is hurting anything, but the engine is 9yrs old and no issues...runs perfectly with no sputtering or surging.

Considering my Honda 160 is 14 years old and haven’t taken the carb a part. It’s always ran well till this past summer. I only use 93 octane and a stabilizer for three months then I get fresh gas.

It’s starting to sputter after I start it and after a while it gets going it runs ok.

TCw-3 will keep things cleaned and lubed. You have 2 options

1 Mechanic In A Bottle added to your gas

2 Take the Carburetor off and soak it in MMO for a few hours.

I mix a 4oz bottle or however much it is of STP fuel injector cleaner in with 2 gallons of gas. Don't know if that concentration is hurting anything, but the engine is 9yrs old and no issues...runs perfectly with no sputtering or surging.
Thanks I may try that as well.

The TCW3 might make it worse. I would start with something like a fuel system cleaner. I dont know that carb but you might want to pull the bowl off of it and clean that out and the main jet before you add anything. You dont want to partially dissolve any gum or varnish in the bowl just to have the small undissolved particles sucked up into all the small passages.

Reactions: FZ1

No problem, the good thing is that this thing is starting and running. You might want to put a fuel filter on this thing. I have a mower that is now 25 years old, push mower, last 20 years it has had a fuel filter on it, and zero problems.

No problem, the good thing is that this thing is starting and running. You might want to put a fuel filter on this thing. I have a mower that is now 25 years old, push mower, last 20 years it has had a fuel filter on it, and zero problems.
Yeah this thing has been a beast. I did a few years ago. Filled the cylinder with Amsoil power foam. Let it sit over night. Pulled the cord a few times before installing the plug. I should taken after photos of the piston top. It did clean most of the carbon off.

The TCW3 might make it worse. I would start with something like a fuel system cleaner. I dont know that carb but you might want to pull the bowl off of it and clean that out and the main jet before you add anything. You dont want to partially dissolve any gum or varnish in the bowl just to have the small undissolved particles sucked up into all the small passages.
This^^^^^^^^^^. Not sure you want to run oil into your carb. Check the fuel filter in the tank, the AF, and change the plug.

This^^^^^^^^^^. Not sure you want to run oil into your carb. Check the fuel filter in the tank, the AF, and change the plug.
I’ll try a cleaner. There is no fuel filter. The plug is a few years old and I tap clean the filter every three months. It’s a year old.

Try to drain the carb float bowl. Make sure the carbs mounting bolts are snug.

Last edited:
No. TCw3 is a 2-stroke oil, it's for lubrication not cleaning. I wouldn't waste your money on that, it won't do anything besides introduce more oil into the combustion chamber. Running stabilizer (Marine 360 seems to be the only thing I find that works) is really all you need if looking for a "maintenance" additive to put in your fuel.

To me it just sounds like the seals, and needle/seat in the carburetor are getting worn after 14 years. Rebuild kits are cheap, make sure you buy a Honda kit, and give the carburetor a good clean. Keep doing what you are doing and it will run for another 14 years. Fuel degrades these parts over time, no matter what you put in the fuel. Adding something like Seafoam can actually be too aggressive for the gaskets.

No. TCw3 is a 2-stroke oil, it's for lubrication not cleaning. I wouldn't waste your money on that, it won't do anything besides introduce more oil into the combustion chamber. Running stabilizer (Marine 360 seems to be the only thing I find that works) is really all you need if looking for a "maintenance" additive to put in your fuel.

To me it just sounds like the seals, and needle/seat in the carburetor are getting worn after 14 years. Rebuild kits are cheap, make sure you buy a Honda kit, and give the carburetor a good clean. Keep doing what you are doing and it will run for another 14 years. Fuel degrades these parts over time, no matter what you put in the fuel. Adding something like Seafoam can actually be too aggressive for the gaskets.
Awesome thank you.

A shot of Seafoam in the tank usually clears up a lawnmower.

For my mower and other small engines, I fill a 5 gallon container of gas and add Marine Stabile 360 (the blue/green stuff) as directed on the bottle and 1 oz of TCW3 2-cycle oil (makes a light 640:1 mix). This mix keeps the engine running good. The TCW3 has corrosion inhibitors in it and coats the metal surfaces in the fuel system. I use this mix year round. No need to do anything special to winterize the engines other than turn off the fuel and run the carb dry. The oils will leave a coating in the carb for the winter.

Back