Taurus TPMS sensor choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an about beat set of Falken EuroWinter HS449 on the winter wheels of the Taurus. Bought the rims and tires from a guy for $50!

I am planning on getting new tires pretty soon here. These wheels currently do not have TPMS sensors installed. I'd like to install a set. I can narrow it down to either a rubber or metal stem.

Metal stemmed Sensor

rubber stemmed sensor

These are the wheels I have for winter: Rage R5

Rage R5 wheels

Should I buy metal or rubber stem? Is it that both will work? Or which ever fits better on the wheel? I think my factory 20" wheels are rubber.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Metal-based sensors will likely corrode over time and especially if you're in "Western NY". That can cause slow leaks or if you want to move the sensors to different wheel/tires, they can be difficult if not impossible to remove without breaking them. The metal ones probably look better but if yours are currently rubber it certainly isn't going to look any worse.

Go with rubber. The metal stems like to crack and corrode, or even break off when checking the pressure.

Those VDO sensors are available in 2-packs on Amazon for the same price as (1) from Advance Auto Parts and single sensors are $32/each too, at least back when I was looking at them.

Don't the sensors come with stems?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Don't the sensors come with stems?
smile.gif

Not all of them. The OP is asking which stem to go with the sensor.

Back to the question. I never had issues with metal stems. When you buy new tires, you don't worry about removing the sensor, thus needing a new O-ring. Just unscrew the Shraeder core for rapid air removal. I've went through multiple sets of tires before the battery died, and needed new sensors.

Rubber, I believe you need to buy new stems with each tire change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back