Taurus 3.0 Vulcan burning oil

Bought this 2002 with 96k miles on it two years ago.
Ran 3 bottles of Techron through it just because.
Ran a few oz of Gumout in the crankcase.
Ran a bottle of Rislone for a 5k OCI.
Replaced PCV valve at about 100k.

Car has 123k miles now. Runs smooth, no engine noise.
No leaks, bottom is completely clean and no smell of burning oil.
No smoking exhaust at any time that I've noticed.

Burning about a half quart every 2000 miles.
Same results with Maxlife blend 5W20, Magnatec 0W20, M1 0W20 HM and M1 5W20 HM.

Suggestions?

Try 5W30? Piston soak?

Judging from the carfax I think this car sat for perhaps years before getting back on the road.

Probably quit with the constant additive cocktail and let the oil work for you. Also go 5w-30.

The additives I tried within the first few thousand miles after I bought it. Nothing since.

Half quart every 2k.

It’s going to take a while to recover from all the stuff you poured into it, if it does at all.

I’d might consider a 5w30 HM oil too.

If you are running 5W20 in it, go to 5W30.
In my 2000 Taurus, whenever I ran the 20 in it, I observed similar usage.
With the 30, I had no observable usage on the dipstick at 3K miles.
This was on a car with over 200K on it. Stuck at the same level until I sold @ 275K.

A quart in 4k is nothing to worry about, but bumping it up to a 30 weight might help. That's what these engines were originally specced for anyways.

I had the Duratec and that had at leak at the oil pan but required dropping the exhaust to fix it. Never bothered but when I switched to 5w30, the leak slowed down, leaked more with 5w20. And yes, 5w30 was what the engines were originally speced for until Ford changed it to 5w20.

Add a half quart every 2000 miles, duh! But really, why do people try to imagine a problem where one does not exist? Many brand new engines burn more oil.
Ok so many brand new engines have a problem. I believe it is false logic to justify a problem based solely on frequency of the problem. It's just a difference in standards and knowledge level. You're ok with being passive, others are not.

Look up any manufacturers specs on oil burning and it's a lot more than 4000 miles a quart. Something like 1200 or less before they even consider a remedy. You were the one that posted the question, and as all the others posting here have said, it's not problem that needs any solution. I'm sorry if the answers are not to your liking.

Back