Take a guess on how my BMW was still running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor this week when I felt there was a slight hesitation when stepping on the gas. This is what I found when I removed the cap and rotor. :)

Thought some of you may get a kick out of it. I found pieces of plastic melted from the rotor on the cap.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Is that the original part? How many miles were on it?

From the history of the paperwork. Yes it is. 140,000 miles.

You changed it for what reason?
54.gif

45.gif

Just to be on the safe side, while I was at it. I changed the fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump,fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned the ICV valve and checked each cable to be sure. Care feel brand new again. :)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You changed it for what reason?
54.gif

45.gif

I also got stuck at Menards last week when my car wouldn't start. Then it started right up 5 minutes later. I knew something was up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpichris
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor this week when I felt there was a slight hesitation when stepping on the gas. This is what I found when I removed the cap and rotor. :)

Thought some of you may get a kick out of it. I found pieces of plastic melted from the rotor on the cap.

That will clean up with a wire brush and a little elbow grease...
13.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpichris
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Is that the original part? How many miles were on it?

From the history of the paperwork. Yes it is. 140,000 miles.

That's ugly! I replaced the factory one on my Mitsubishi at around 175K and it didn't look near that bad.

Have you checked all the other parts, such as plug wires or replaced any spark plugs? I know what you replaced is high mileage and parts will wear out, but if the plugs get wide or the wires get high resistance, the spark will want to go elsewhere and wear out other things....like what you replaced.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The bolt holding the rotor down is loose.
Was this loose before or after the problems?

The picture taken was when the rotor was out of the car already. It was on there tight :)

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Have you checked all the other parts, such as plug wires or replaced any spark plugs? I know what you replaced is high mileage and parts will wear out, but if the plugs get wide or the wires get high resistance, the spark will want to go elsewhere and wear out other things....like what you replaced.

I have a set of spare wires and they have been replaced now. Changed a bunch of stuff. New Spark plugs, new FPG, cleaned ICV, new fuel pump, new fuel filter and fuel lines. Vacuum lines are good too. Car runs smooth now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back