Tahoe OLM question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish my subie had that OLM!! Heck, doesn't/didn't GM own a part of subaru? They could of been nice and offered it to subaru
grin2.gif

It would make life *much* easier with respect to OCI decision making.

under ideal conditions i would stick to max 15,000km/10,000 miles on typical SM/GF4 oils.

i also wish my car had an OLM.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I wish my subie had that OLM!! Heck, doesn't/didn't GM own a part of subaru? They could of been nice and offered it to subaru
grin2.gif

It would make life *much* easier with respect to OCI decision making.

I wish my 07 Outback had one too!

I've got my perfect OCI on the Toyota figured out via UOAs but don't want to spend the $$ for too many UOAs on it.

A OLM would be so nice...

Your buddy is definately in the ideal situation considering oil life. But IMO, 15000 miles is too long for a blend.

If it was my vehicle, i would be using a top quality synthetic just to be safe. And actually i do; i've got a 08 GMC savanna with the OLM and Amsoil ASL in the sump along with a EAO filter. If you don't want to go Amsoil, at least go with a good synthetic like; PP, Mobil 1 EP, RL, or alike.

i would change it...most of us obsess about this haha...oil is cheap unlike engines

My Mercedes Flexible Service System never calculates my OCI over 10'000 miles ~ 18000 KM. This is with an oil life sensor along with computer algorithm and Mobil 1 0W-40.

I do 80% freeway and 20% city but winters in Ontario can be tough on oil.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Pull a sample of the oil and have it tested to see how the oil is holding up.

i would love to see a UOA of this oil +1

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
IME such an instrument is one of the best ever installed on a motor vehicle. The more sophisticated of these devices will enable a greater use WW of a very valuable resource - oil! It encourages far less pollution too!!!

And so for such good reasons maybe the gov't should mandate the inclusion of such a device in every new car.
56.gif

Falcon_LS,

On my newlt boughyt 08' Chevy Impala SS I too have an OLM and have been using it since bought. Right now I have about 11% left on the oils life expectancy which is considered to my OLM 6K. For my driving habits in California/Los Angeles that's what mine says to do so I'm gonna wait until 6K and switch over to a sybnthetic oil for it's first oil change.

Your buddies Tahoe's computer must be readjusting the OLM to fit the climate and other factors. If I was him I'd try to find an extended synthetic oil to use and just change the oil annualy every year OR use a standard synthetic and change it every 6 months assuming the OLM tells him it's OK.

Durango

you probably want to make sure to remind him that he does need to check the oil level through out the oci to make sure that no make up oil is needed.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I am curious are the tahoes OLMs set for synthetic?

I'm pretty sure the OLM in GM cars is set to whatever GM oil spec applies to the certain engine/car. So depending on that it could be synthetic or dino but most certainly in the case of a Tahoe it's dino.

As said many times before GM OLM is a purely software implementation. There is no actual oil quality sensor OR an option to tell the system you are using synthetic or dino so the system is blind to that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back