Tacoma 4-dr 4x4 5-spd - how hard can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, a stick would have been a nice option.

Perhaps the Nissan Frontier crew cab was available with the MT?

Can you explain use to much gas.. I thought all
trucks that size were around 18mpg +-2
I'm pretty sure the double cab makes you take
the biggest engine option.

You said you are looking for a 2003-2005. You can get a 2005 with a manual, only 6 speed though. I just trader my 2004 4wd, double cab for a 2006 2500HD Duramax/Allison. The motor/tranny combo was not the best IMO. Set the cruise and it would downshift hard at the least hill. I had a 2002 ext cab/4wd/V6/5 speed that was a much better truck. Never was quite happy with my 2004 DC.

Scooby is right 2005 was the first year you could get the double cab with a manual tranny. Only way I can tell you to find one is the look at the autotrader.com and you can refine your search to any distance and to show only manual trannies with 4 doors. Good luck. I think that would be a great truck. Scooby how do you like your duramax/allison combo?

quote:

Originally posted by mcrn:
Scooby is right 2005 was the first year you could get the double cab with a manual tranny. Only way I can tell you to find one is the look at the autotrader.com and you can refine your search to any distance and to show only manual trannies with 4 doors. Good luck. I think that would be a great truck. Scooby how do you like your duramax/allison combo?

LOVE the new truck. I do lawn maintenance on the side and it pulls my trailer like it isn't there...honestly. of course my current trailer is only a 5x10 open trailer that is only about 3k lbs loaded. HOPE to get at least a 6x12 enclosed before next season. My Tacoma didn't like pulling the 5x10 in this terrain, and knew it would be dangerous with an enclosed.

The new Allison is amazing. Actually like the styling of the Dodge better, and liked the Cummins better also. The ride of the Chevy and the Allison sealed the deal though. Got a VERY good deal on an '06, and the price they gave me on trade for my Tacoma was WAY too good to pass up.

That is good to know. I am possibly going to be getting a tow vehicle and am considering the chevy iwth the duramax/allison or the dodge/cummins. If I get the cummins I would probably get a stick but they are coming out with a new 6spd auto next year also. But I love the way chevy's drive. They truly are a cadilac like ride. But I love the Solid front axle of the dodge but i doubt that would be enough to give up that ride. Well thanks for the info and I hope you continue to enjoy your truck.

My fiancee's father has gone from using toyotas to using fords in the severe service of the USVI. They haul barrels of oil and other supplies around in the trucks, and the fords perform much better in every way.

I know many will take gripes from me saying this, but the reality is that severe service there is MUCH more severe than 95% of what people consider 'severe' here, and this is real use.

So please consider this tidbit of info if you are really planning to use your truck, as it sounds.

Maybe not the drag race champ, but a MT 6-cyl fullsize domestic might be a decent option...

JMH

it be to find one?

So far all we're able to find is automatics.

We're looking for slightly used, say between '03-'05. Are the 5-spds hard to come by in the 4-dr; we're finding all kinds of 5-spds, but they're either single cab or king cab. We need the room of the 4-dr for sure.

This will be a construction truck, but will get it's share of driving through the mountains, rough 4x4 trails, as well as pulling trailers, etc. We'd much prefer the 5-spd over the auto; our current '85 Toy p/up 22re has retired at 300k miles, still on original clutch.

Any hints would be great - thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Rand:
Can you explain use to much gas.. I thought all
trucks that size were around 18mpg +-2
I'm pretty sure the double cab makes you take
the biggest engine option.

Let me just say that I was referring to the old 3.3L engine in the Nissan trucks that many complained were only averaging 12-14mpg. I failed to remember that the Nissan TRUCKS were now optioned for the 4.0L as well.

I did have the luxury of owning a Nissan Xterra 4.0L for a short time, it was brand-new and averaged about 16mpg - however it was not worn in yet, so chances are it may have done better after a few thousand miles.

Turns out my sister needed a newer SUV as her '02 Trail Blazer's transmission took a ****, and at the time, the Xterra was the new kid in our household that we were holding as back-up, sorta speak.

Well, the truck it was going to replace ****ped out shortly after we sold the Xterra - wouldn't you know, however, we've decided that we definitely need the open bed. And while I know the gas mileage in the 4.0L Nissan engine's have improved, the 4-dr truck is still not as roomy as the Toyota's.

So the '02's were good as well as the '05's; only the '02 comes in x-cab and not double cab - man that bites; have two boys, one with really long legs
mad.gif
Guess we'll just have to cut him off at the knees
128.gif

Ramblin
Fever,
These are great trucks for their intended purpose as I own one. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy this configuration unless you are completely satisfied with the bed size. You mentioned construction and this usually means bulky items and with the small bed it will be a real challenge. You aren't going to find your truck with the 5 spd. I gotta tell ya that with the release of the new Tundra, I'd be looking at finding a nice gently used one being traded in as buyers will want the NEW one. Not trying to complicate your decision...just offering up a solution that might do more for your situation.

H2GURU - I completely appreciate your thoughts, funny thing, we were just talking about the difference in bed sizes this morning. That's definitely a big concern of ours.

We're trying, by all means, to avoid having to get another full-size truck - we didn't plan on the midgets growing so fast!

quote:

Originally posted by Ramblin Fever:
it be to find one?

So far all we're able to find is automatics.

We're looking for slightly used, say between '03-'05. Are the 5-spds hard to come by in the 4-dr; we're finding all kinds of 5-spds, but they're either single cab or king cab. We need the room of the 4-dr for sure.

This will be a construction truck, but will get it's share of driving through the mountains, rough 4x4 trails, as well as pulling trailers, etc. We'd much prefer the 5-spd over the auto; our current '85 Toy p/up 22re has retired at 300k miles, still on original clutch.

Any hints would be great - thanks!

03-04 double cabs only come in autos, 05+ come with autos or 6 speed trannys.

If they do still offer the 6 speed manual you will need to special order it. Less then 1%-10% "depending on the OEM" of vechiles sold are manual transmissions in the USA. Of those 99% are fleet purchases not private owners.When I went to buy my Camry I wanted a manual transmission and out of about 150 Camry's on the lot only two of them had a manual transmission. So I had a choice of white or silver unless I wanted to special order.

I can remeber when almost all vechiles on an import lot were manual transmissions and only one or two were automatics. Times are a changeing! It is kind of like manual windows. I hate power windows with a passion as they always need work at some point dureing ownership. I have had manual windows that 20 years later were still working just fine.I have never seen power windows last like that!!!! Unless you live in south america though you can not get manual windows on anything !

You can get a "Long bed" 6 speeD MANUAL TRANNIES 4 DOOR Tacoma in 05+ models. I wish I had bought the longbed. but my auto 06 taco is still very capable despite the smaller bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back