Table/Workbench Top Project

I reworked two ratty 60 year old oak laboratory tables in my workplace shop multi-purpose room (lunch, work, etc.) . I cleaned up the ugly painted tops, installed oak edge boards, followed by loose-lay vinyl plank flooring. The flooring will take moderate abuse and is cheap ($36) and easy to replace when banged up too bad. I didn't want the tops to be so nice that I would be afraid to use them as work surfaces.

table .jpg

Table 2.jpg

I made the trim from 1/2" red oak routed with a round edge, stained to match the flooring, with home made wipe on alkyd varnish. The vinyl plank flooring from Menards is 6" wide and cuts easy on a table saw. I tried to find flooring with the least amount of embossing/wood-like relief, but it is still a bit too rough to use as desktop writing surface.
table 8.jpg

Table 6.jpg

While it looks nice here, it is intended to be used for "moderate level" work usage.
Table 4.jpg

Last edited:
I spent a lot of my working years at a very large company that made vinyl flooring among other things. My workbenches are always covered with vinyl flooring that I got as scrap from the labs where it was tested. Stuff holds up, protects sensitive things from getting scratched and is easy and cheap to replace. Glad to see someone elsedoing this!!

Back