System Diagnostics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am giving my computer to my parents, but I want to make sure it is in good shape. It has some problems with rebooting, and I want to see what the problem is. Does anyone have or can you recommend a software that can check the system for any problems?

I can't recommend any software, but if you still have the xp cd i would just reformat the pc.

Look for memtest86. It will check for memory errors which can result in rebooting problems.

However, if the computer does not have a floppy drive, ignore my comment since memtest86 runs off a bootable floppy disk using DOS.

rebooting could mean a power supply if its rebooting for no reason without an error.

Download ultimate boot cd, it has the memtest86 program on it, and also run a full hard drive scan.

In your CD burning software, there should be an option to burn an image file.

Select that option, and when prompted, point to the ISO stored on your HD. Your burning software will then use the ISO to make a bootable CD which you can use to run memtest86.

No, can't burn an exe as an ISO.

Is this the exe for just memtest86? If so, that needs to go on a floppy. The memtest environment is very minimalist.

Can't run it from your HDD, as the OS would get in the way.

I've never used the ultimate boot CD myself.

I just went to the site. The ISO is stored inside a self extracting exe file. Run the exe to extract the ISO, and then use the hints I mentioned about burning an image.

You need WinZip to decode exe file. WinZip

Send file to desktop or document. Image ISO will ask location of file. Click file and burn.

can't get it to unzip. It says it's not a supported archive. What name do I have to give it? This shouldn't be that difficult, I am just not understanding how to get it to work.

Last edited:
The XP has a built in zip file decoder so WinZp isn't needed. If he has an earlier OS system than he needs the WinZip. I think you're stuck in WinZip Wizard. Click on WinZip classic and step by procedure will be easier. What's you're OS?

If that doesn't work then download a copy of winrar, and right click the file and extract it where need be.

Then a program such as nero will let you burn the iso to a cd.

Boot the computer from the cd, that cd is very neat. I am a PC tech who has to test broken laptops and desktops all day long. I have a dozen copies of it sitting on my desk at work, I use it constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back