Synthetics and motor smoothness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I got one for you guys.

I have a Protege 5. 2L motor/5 speed, and I drive the stew out of it. I put Royal Purple 5w-30 in it at 5000 miles and now have 6600 miles. In the last 100 miles I have noticed the motor is running a lot smoother. This motor is known for vibration - very noticable at 3000 RPM. I never had to look at the tack to check RPM, but now I do. Really smooth up to 6500 RPM. I have been running synthetic for years (Mobil 1) and have never experienced this.

Engine just breaking in? Synthetic oil? RP oil? Too many beers? Sun in my eyes?
dunno.gif

Phil
PS - the P5 is a HOOT to drive around the twisties very fast
grin.gif

I beleive you are experiencing vertigo in those twisties there
smile.gif

I have never heard of a motor oil change helping balance a engine,don't think it is possible . Do those motors have a counter balancer in them? This is the first I have heard of that model having a vibration problem. By chance is it simalar or the same as the Focus motor?

Anyway, glad you found a oil you like.
cheers.gif
Many like the Royal Purple but I have no experience with it other than the Racing 11 in a T5 Transmission. I am curious why you chose it when you have used Mobil in the past. Did you have a bad experience with the Mobil or just bought a new car,try something different type deal like me?

Royal Purple contains moly, so I believe the smoothness is coming from that. I noticed my
engine is smoother now since I switched from Maxlife to Schaeffer Supreme.

My engine was noticeably more vibratious on the M1 10W-30, and is quiet as an acura on the Maxlife 10W-30.... For a Camaro 3800-II to be this quiet its almost obsurd, but I'm happy.

Hey Dragboat -

Vertigo - Lol. Man, sometimes I wonder
shocked.gif

This 2L has no relation to the Focus motor. Same specs but is a 100% Japanese motor. Maybe vibration is a too strong of a word. Some discribe it as "buzzy". You can feel it through the steering wheel and shifter. I kind of like buzzy - input is good when driving on the edge.

I am trying RP because a rep dropped some off for me to test on the Shell 4 ball. It did very well, so I thought I would try it in the P5. I plan on doing an analysis at 5000 miles. I have always run Mobil 1 in the past and really like it too. I have 15w-50 in my '66 Datsun Roadster and change it once a year - only about 5000 miles, but very, very, very, hard miles YEE HAA
burnout.gif
vroomm vroomm rev rev

I just switched my ford 4.9 from dino 15w40 to Amsoil AME 15w40, and I can feel a difference.

Is it a huge difference? No, but it does run smoother - I have even had passengers say so.

Possibly cases of "hypersensitivity" like when you change the oil and it seems to run smoother and better. Possible solutions: Double blind study or; Use of industrial vibration sensors that we use to determine when maintenance is going to be needed on electric motors etc.

Hey Roadster. I have a 2002 Protege LX sedan with the same 2L engine. After putting in M1 at the first oil change, I thought it felt just a bit smoother. I don't feel any vibrations, but I can't remember if I did before making the switch.
dunno.gif

I'm convinced that it makes a difference though, so I'll go with M1 again at it's next oil change.

PS - the Protege sedans are just as fun to drive around the twisties
grin.gif

Cool another Protege owner. Mazda did a great job on these cars. Consistantly rating #1 in the auto mag comparisons. Hey cjb200 isn't it cool when you hit a corner really hard and your wife's eyes about pop out, stuff slams the door panels at velocity, the tail end kicks out just right, blue lights in the mirror....
cool.gif

Sorry for getting off topic guys.... But it is good to know the oil is keeping the motor happy at 6000 RPM.

quote:

Originally posted by cjb200:
grin.gif

offtopic.gif
but I disagree. I owned a '96 Protege with stock 185/65/14 tires and it wasn't comfortable at all...

frown.gif

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:

quote:

Originally posted by cjb200:
grin.gif

offtopic.gif
but I disagree. I owned a '96 Protege with stock 185/65/14 tires and it wasn't comfortable at all...

frown.gif

Oz

I hate to stay off topic but...
The 96 was a 2nd generation Protege, which was more of a typical economy car. The 3rd generation (99-03) are much better handling.

quote:

This 2L has no relation to the Focus motor. Same specs but is a 100% Japanese motor. Maybe vibration is a too strong of a word. Some discribe it as "buzzy". You can feel it through the steering wheel and shifter. I kind of like buzzy - input is good when driving on the edge.

Heh, I know about 'buzziness'. Drive a Integra Type R at 8000+ rpms. No sound deadening is great.
worshippy.gif

if you want a real car tht is really cool to drive buy a miata i had a 96 and that car was great better than any protege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back