Synthetic Technology Formulation Castrol Transmax

Was checking out Castrols Dex/Merc fluid and it says:
Castrol Transmax ATF Dex/Merc Multivehicle is a Synthetic Technology formulation ...... Does that mean it's a sythetic fluid? Blend? Conventional made the same way as synthetic?

Pardon my ignorance if the answer is obvious..... I'm still learning about all this stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230404-234500.jpg
    Screenshot_20230404-234500.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 35
Castrol Transmax ATF Dex/Merc Multivehicle is a Synthetic Technology formulation ...... Does that mean it's a sythetic fluid? Blend? Conventional made the same way as synthetic?

Pardon my ignorance if the answer is obvious..... I'm still learning about all this stuff.
Not Ignorance. Oil can be complicated. From what I gather "Synthetic Technology" is essentially a fancy way of using only a small portion of a group III oil & the rest being Group II. Basically, not enough group III oil in the mixture to claim "Synthetic Blend". For transmissions a decent Full Synthetic fluid can give you piece of mind but not always necessary if you're going to change it out on schedule.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/what-is-synthetic-technology.356670/

Not Ignorance. Oil can be complicated. From what I gather "Synthetic Technology" is essentially a fancy way of using only a small portion of a group III oil & the rest being Group II. Basically, not enough group III oil in the mixture to claim "Synthetic Blend". For transmissions a decent Full Synthetic fluid can give you piece of mind but not always necessary if you're going to change it out on schedule.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/what-is-synthetic-technology.356670/
Ah didn't think they made a dex iii/mercon synthetic.

If you want a great synthetic Dex III compatible fluid look no further.

I've asked this question in the past. I notice Total use a lot of 'synthetic technology'. I now assume it just means it's a Group 3 oil.

Ok i see the delvac link. I thought he was talking about the castrol.

The manufacturer of the fluid says delvac isnt dexos compatible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230406-203949.jpg
    Screenshot_20230406-203949.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
Ok i see the delvac link. I thought he was talking about the castrol.

The manufacturer of the fluid says delvac isnt dexos compatible.
Dexos is a motor oil specification not transmission fluid, TES-295 Allison fluid is essentially a synthetic Dexron III fluid that was designed to be survive long drain intervals in heavy duty transmissions.

Can you please share the product code or a photo of the product? Looks like there are multiple version of Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc, each with slightly different packaging and specs !

Attachments

• Transmax_Dex_Merc_different_packaging.jpg
    Transmax_Dex_Merc_different_packaging.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 14
I went into Autozone a month ago and picked up 3 jugs of Castrol Dex lV/Mec. They had another jug which I almost picked up of Dexlll. The Dex lV said full Synthetic, Dex lll did not.

Depends on the bottle label...

I haven't seen the product that you are quoting. What country are you in? What is the specific product PN?

Dexron/Mercon here is a conventional fluid unless you step up to Allison specs.

Castrol has plenty of ATF's to choose from and you can see what is missing:

Back