Synthetic Oil Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I thought that the 'synthetic oil will make it leak' was an old wives tale? I've certainly never had a problem..

Is Synthetic Oil Better For Vehicles?

....And while there are many good things associated with synthetic, Gray said if you have an older car, synthetic is not for you.

"In my opinion, (for a) pre '95 with high miles -- like up around 100,000 miles -- I would definitely be very cautious about going to a synthetic oil," Gray said.

That's because the older technology and gaskets will cause synthetic oil to leak, and it doesn't have the lubrication for the old push-rod engines.

Article...

"It doesnt have the lubrication for older push-rod engines"!!!!????
21.gif
LOL.gif
This guy needs to do his homework. I'm going to assume he is talking about those without ZDDP. I can think of a few synthetics that are way better for pushrod engines.

Hilarious. Both of my 302's are WAY pre-95.

He'd probably stroke-out knowing I put M1 5w30 in a 1950's Ford 312 Interceptor.

The article says pre-95 not good with synthetics. OK, there was some point in the past when synthetics had a problem with older cars, and I am not sure I would switch to a synthetic on a pre-95 either, even though I strongly recommend synthetic for new vehicles.

The only exception would be that if a pre-95 vehicle has been using synthetic for many years without problems, then I would continue that, but not switch to synthetic from conventional at that age.

Then again, the High Mileage synthetic specifically have extra additives to deal with the seal issue, and they might be a good idea in some pre-95 cars.

Originally Posted By: e40
I thought that the 'synthetic oil will make it leak' was an old wives tale? I've certainly never had a problem..

Is Synthetic Oil Better For Vehicles?

....And while there are many good things associated with synthetic, Gray said if you have an older car, synthetic is not for you.

"In my opinion, (for a) pre '95 with high miles -- like up around 100,000 miles -- I would definitely be very cautious about going to a synthetic oil," Gray said.

Now you know where the wive's tales come from.

I had a problem with leaks in a 1987 Chevy Celebrity when I tried Syn Oil.

But they corrected those gasket issues since then and the manufacturers have additives to address that.

I also disagree with the protection for pushrods comment. The Mobil 1 HM oil I am running has alot of ZDDP in it.

Last edited:
I have used Amsoil full synthetic in several pre 95 autos that had between 88k and 100k and the only issue I had was they used LESS oil then with ANY dino oil I tried.Ran those autos till the 250k mark and sold them.No leaks and LESS oil usage plus two of those autos I ran the oil 20k to 25k with filters changed at 7500.One Chevy Caprice Classic with 305 4bbl.Used 1qt of Castrol 10w30 every 1200 miles.Castrol Syntec 1qt every 1800 miles and with Amsoil 10w30 1qt every 4000 miles.That auto I sold with 252k and it had the plastic timing chain gear fail at 225.Still running great when sold.The 700r4 trans was still shifting good and no leaks and it had Amsoil Universal Atf installed at 90k with a BG exchange machine.After that a trans filter and top off ATF every 60k until sold.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I started using M1 oils in 1978 and haven't had any problems.
Tig1,

Not that M1 oils aren't excellent, but I'm sure they have made major changes since then. Plus with all the corporate greed squeezing going on it has to make you think that compromises have been made with all oils & companies in the name of profit no?

Unless you are talking about really old cars like 50s and older (MGB, Morgan, Austin, etc.) then you may have some seal compatibility issues; otherwise, the writer of this article RE: 95 or older should not run syn (or full syn) is full of poppycocks.

I'm surprised that mass media would take on these bozo's writeup and preach it to the mass like he's the authoritative figure or some saint.

Can't believe that the general public is falling for that.

Q.

Quote:
"Synthetic is an engineered oil," Gray said. "The product can even be an organic compound, like soybeans, canola. Or it can be a plastic resin."

I stopped there.

Originally Posted By: bountyh

Exactly, like this one: "Those who can - do, and those who can't - teach."

Not intending to offend anyone, just noting how ridiculous wives' tales can be.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Originally Posted By: bountyh

Exactly, like this one: "Those who can - do, and those who can't - teach."

Not intending to offend anyone, just noting how ridiculous wives' tales can be.

That's why I bailed out of the auto repair industry long time ago and pursue a totally different career instead. Like Rodney Dangerfield said: "ain't gettin no satisfaction"

Q.

I'm surprised he did'nt finish off the article with: "Now that's thinkin' with yar dipstick.....Jimmeh!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back