Synthetic / Dodge Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am contemplating running M1 in my Dodge Caravan with an inexpensive filter because I know I would not run this stuff beyond 4000 miles. My only concern is that my mechanic said I can't go back to dino if I decide to. He mentioned that in one of his cars, his oil pressure was NEVER the same after running synthetic. Anyone ever heard of this issue?

His oil pressure was probably lower after the synthetic cleaned his engine out.

Or he doesn't have any synthetic to sell you.
wink.gif

The reason I wouldn't if for peace of mind.
The van makes a lot of short trips in the winter and the oil will have plenty of condensation in it. I like to get the old out, and the new in.
I guess it sound as if I'd be just as well using a dino with 4k OIC hu?

Yup. Unless it gets super cold. Then you get a benefit from the syn. If you are going to run a conventional OCI in conventional conditions then...

No offense but, Regardless of what oil your Caravan uses, its going to burn oil later in Life. mind of well use Dino.

So, in other words, I may be safe with a shorter oci using syn in cold weather if I have many short trips, then when it warms up, I can extend them out beyond 4000 again?

"Regardless of what oil your Caravan uses, its going to burn oil later in Life".

Says who? I have several vehicles with over 200,000 miles (one ws over 300,000 miles..Fords at that) and they use(d)no discernable oil.

Seems to me that is one of the reasons to visit this board. To find out what oils, filters, lubes etc. people have had great and not so great results with.

Use a good dino and 5,000 OCI's or a good synthetic and extend to 7,500 plus. Either way you should sleep like a baby.

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
No offense but, Regardless of what oil your Caravan uses, its going to burn oil later in Life. mind of well use Dino.

Yep, finally someone who speaks the truth. I've heard this before as well. And that statement has also given me reason to question synth.
People are running their Castrol and Havoline dino for 4 and 5k OCIs and this crap performs "nearly" as well as the M1.

Korean_Redneck and Tenderloin. You both are confusing me. Expand more Redneck. Every car you own eventually burned oil?

^^^^ Well, My family has been through two caravan Gernations... We bought a 1988 4 cylinder caravan Brand new.. it burned oil bad like at 70,000 Gentle miles. Then my dad bought a 1998 Caravan 4 cylinder brand new, took care of it,, burns oil around 80,000 miles.

I don't know if its Coincendital(sp?), I always drive with Fresh air on my HVAC and everytime I drive behind a Caravan , it always seems to burn oil very badly.

I also heard that Caravans , regardless of what engine or year , Nictorusly(sp?) will burn oil at a early stage.

I have 160K on my 94 Caravan 2.5 that burns no oil. I do have consumption issues - but no smoke from any burn. Even on cold start-up, my exhaust pipe remains clear when emitting.

[ October 28, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

'95 Grand Caravan, 120K miles, Mitsu 3.0L V6, doesn't burn a drop of M1 5W-30 between annual oil changes. This is our extra car so most of the time it sits unused. In fact, it was last used Labor Day weekend. Most trips are 3-4 miles to the stores and back, or it may be used as a commuter one day when our daily drives are in for maintenance. Last years mileage was about 950 miles. I change every year about tax time whether it needs it or not. Since April of this year, it's been driven 450 miles.

I run M1 because I never know if this car will be used in the heat of summer or the dead of winter. It will experience sub-zero starts and trips in 90+ heat. Every April I drain out almost 5 qts and I'll fill it with almost 5 qts, and I won't worry a bit about what kind of conditions it'll experience. I say run the M1 and don't worry about a thing.

quote:

Originally posted by mossad:
my mechanic said I can't go back to dino if I decide to.

I for one have done it ('96 Gr. Caravan, V6, 140k miles). I tried M1 0w-40 and then switched back to a 15w-40 with no problems. The synthetic wasn't worth it since the van still used up oil and got very dirty -- preventing an extended drain to make it worthwhile running a synthetic at 4x the price of a HDEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back